In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mini 14 will not zero

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
It is shooting about 5 inches below my point of aim at 50 yards. I have adjusted the rear sight all the way up and of course the front sight is not adjustable.

The rifle was missing the factory sight when I got it so I put on one of those Choate M14 look alikes.

All I can see as my options are:
1) Get the front sight ground down some but I'm not sure how much. 2) Use some sort of optics but I really don't want a rifle that lacks usable iron sights.
3) Unscrupulously sell it to some poor sucker at a gun show and let it be his problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of time and effort into this rifle but I don't want to start throwing good money after bad.

Comments

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact Ruger and try to get the proper rear sight. That HAS to be the problem, unless the barrel is bent.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    It is shooting about 5 inches below my point of aim at 50 yards.
    All I can see as my options are:
    1) Get the front sight ground down some but I'm not sure how much.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of time and effort into this rifle but I don't want to start throwing good money after bad.

If my math is correct, you divide 1800 (number of inches in 50 yd) by the distance between your sights (in inches). Divide 5" (amount of correction required) by the answer to the first part, and you get the amount of material you need to remove from the front sight. Taking off a little extra won't hurt much, as your rear sight is bottomed out currently.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Amount of error X sight radius divided by distance to target in inches will give you the amount to take off the front sight.
    I bought a M1 carbine that was shooting about 8in. high at 100yds. and found someone took .160 off the front sight, and put a new one on.
    Take a little off your front at a time untill you get it where you want it.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to all of what has been said above,

OR

sell it and buy an AR
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

Amount of error X sight radius divided by distance to target in inches will give you the amount to take off the front sight.
    I bought a M1 carbine that was shooting about 8in. high at 100yds. and found someone took .160 off the front sight, and put a new one on.
    Take a little off your front at a time untill you get it where you want it.

This is the Formula you want to use!!!!
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fastcarsgofast, I take it that a man who quotes the Bible in his posts is not serious about option 3.

I have an original mini-14 rear sight I will give you if you will post or email me your snail-mail address.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Well, I don't know how "unsrupulous" it would be, as most people who would be looking for a mini would/should know of their "built-in" accuracy problems.

...I have never asked anyone when buying a gun "how accurate" it was...I knew/know the gun I was/am after, but then if someone buying it was to ask you that well, you should tell them of the problem, and it's possible fixes; then your square and they know what thier getting into...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    fastcarsgofast, I take it that a man who quotes the Bible in his posts is not serious about option 3.

I have an original mini-14 rear sight I will give you if you will post or email me your snail-mail address.
    Thanks but it has the factory rear sight. It was the front sight that was missing. And you are right option 3 wasn't really much of an option. I am going to call ruger and get a factory front sight sent out tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.
  • 220ackley220ackley Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the set screw on my ranch rifle work loose and lost my rear sight. One call to Ruger and a new was on it's way free of charge. no shipping or anything even though I offerd. Call Ruger They have AWESOME customer sevice.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duh!, I got lost in all the posts in this thread and somehow thought the rear sight was the Choate replacement.