In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking at a Winchester 88 Tomorrow

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm going out in the country tomorrow to look at a Winchester Model 88 that's for sale on consignment in a small gunshop. It is a rifle style in .243 caliber with a Redfield Lo-Pro 3-9 scope with rangefinder. Supposedly it is in about 90% overall condition. It has pressed checkering and the serial number is 202504A. How old would that make it? The asking price is $595. What should I look for in this 40 something year old gun to help me make a decision about buying and how is the price? I own a Savage 99 in 243 with the rotary magazine and it is a great shooter. I'm wondering how the Model 88 will compare to it? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i have the model 88 in in 308. not my favorite shooter. but a rock solid rifle no less. it is accurate and reliable. while only target shooting and hunting with it ive never had any problems. ive heard that rifles in 243 are less common and are worth somewhat more.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    made about 1966 does it have basket weave checking?
    I have one in 308 and it's a tack driver.with hand loads I can put 3 holes touching at 100 yards,if i do my job.
    I also have a 243 carbine that I am going to sell someday but I won't let it go at that price.what should you look for.condition,condition,condition. Just make sure every thing works and it has mag.and the go shoot it.that is a good price.look on the auction side and see the pricing.
    dam good price I sold one for #800
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    watch the bolt face when you cycle the lever,if it doesn't roll smoothly don't by it,I had a bolt go to pieces on extration in a 243 carbine once
  • Options
    hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun alone should be worth the $595.00. This would be a 1967 with a RED "W" on the pistol grip. I had a model 88 in the .243 and had it fiber glassed bedded and the barrel floated. Could cover a 3 shot group with an aspirin tablet....
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might sound stupid, but I had an 88 that I bought in about 1960 that I liked so much I bought another one to have in case something happened to the first one. I still have it new in the box and it appreciated more than any other gun I own. If the new SRX is half as good I might buy one of those too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked at the M88 today. It is in nice shape with only a little light bluing wear and a few small nicks and scrapes on the stock. The lever worked smoothly as did the bolt head. I checked the safety and the trigger and both worked fine though the trigger was a bit spongy as I was told to expect. The 3-9 Redfield Widefield scope is in excellent condition.The stock is a post 64 with stamped basketweave checkering and a red W pistolgrip cap. The magazine had some light rust on it. I put a deposit on the rifle and hope to get it home in time for rifle season. Thanks to all for your replies. I will post pictures later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Picked up the 88 today. Here are the pictures:

Copyof000aaa111008.jpg
    Copyof000aaa111010.jpg
    Copyof000aaa111013.jpg
    [IMG][/img]Copyof000aaa111012.jpg
    Copyof000aaa111020.jpg
  • Options
    garand308wingarand308win Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1