In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pitted shotgun barrel , How to repair?

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a old Lefever nitro proof barrel that has some light surface pitting. I'd like to fill in the pitting and reblue the barrels.

Can this be done?

Comments

• Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pitting on the outside of barrel needs surface taken down below the depth of deepest pit. Problem is shot barrels on quality guns is thin to begin with and you can not go very far.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious, on shotgun tubes, could the barrels be preheated to about 400 degrees to reduce distortion and then TIG welded to fill in the pits?
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    in my OPINION.., it would be best to just leave it be, any welding or repairs as you are suggesting would destroy it's value.., and possibly the entire gun.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the gun is worth $350 and thats all a beat shooter is worth so I'm not worried about its value. I was wondering is I could fill with solder and sand smooth.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860
    Well the gun is worth $350 and thats all a beat shooter is worth so I'm not worried about its value. I was wondering is I could fill with solder and sand smooth.

Glad you brought it up. Now..

Take it to the range and pattern it. If it patterns Okay (no reason not to), you will have had one less item of concern. Best, Joe
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please don't do that! There's somebody out there that would love that old gun just the way it is. Sell it and start over.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH My you guys are crude...but ok... if that is enough. See if you can buy (at automotive supply house) a bottle, not spray aerosol of a product call "1 Step, by Marhyde. Apply it to the barrels (after you degrease) it will turn the rust to a hard black almost like enamel smooth. let dry , two coats. great stuff this "1 step" I use it on classic car restoration you can be the first to try on a shotgun. Kills rust turns it smooth black, expensive $30 a quart, hazardous vapors.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If its just a beat shooter then let it be and shoot it. You could sand out the pitts but you might take off more metal than is safe. There is nothing you can "fill" it with.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duracoat has a product called Durafil that you can apply before coating. Think of it as Bondo before the paint.