In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bar In Wood

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
What does this mean when referring to double barrel shotguns?

Sage1

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Just like a Box-lock Winchester model 21 or Fox Sterlingworth a Side-lock shotgun like a L.C.Smith has a different Profile of the butstock and receiver . The Bar in Wood looks more like a side-lock but I can't find a picture to show you the different. Most Bar In Wood that I have seen were HIGH grade English. but I think some recent guns made in Turkey have also been made in this style.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many different types of actions in the evolution of double barrel shotguns. Bar in wood refers to a bar (steel) within the surrounding wood. Sometimes referred to as a skelton action. most double barrels have a box action with a wood stock attached at the tang and a wood stock forearm ahead of the steel action. A bar in wood action is within wood from the foreend to the tang. Wood surrounds the side or bottom of the action with the (bar or steel) within the wood. Do a gun search for a bar in action picture, most likely a high quality european double for a picture and you will notice wood along the side of the action.