In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Young America .22 Rimfire

GWIGWI Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me which of the two following cylinder pin type revolvers is the smallest (that uses modern smokeless ammo), in terms of total length and height: 1) an H&R Young America Double Action .22 Rimfire, second model, or 2) an Iver Johnson Model 1900 .22 caliber ? I have a short barreled (bicycle)hammerless topbreak H&R .22 Rimfire with serial #8102 that is pretty small; but the Young America .22 I saw at a gunshow recently looked a lot smaller. I've never seen an Iver Johnson 1900 .22 caliber gun.

Comments

• Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    the iver johnson model 1900 and the H&R model 1906 in 22 rimfire caliber are about the same. these are about the same size as the top break 22 rimfire H&R and iver johnson. the H&R young america double action second model is a tad smaller but the smallest has to be the second model H&R vestpocket double action in 22 rimfire because of its very short barrel and spurless hammer.

when looking for one of these be sure it is a second model (has caliber markings).
    bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Bill. Do the the Iver Johnson model 1900 and the H&R Model 1906 22 rimfire revolvers both handle .22 long rifle cartridges? Or are they also just for .22 shorts, like the Young America? One other question for you: were the Young America, IJ Model 1900 and H&R Model 1906 of the "safety hammer" type, with transfer bars? Ideally, I would like to find a modern small frame model that safely handles .22 long rifle cartridges and has a 'safety hammer.' What would you recommend?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the smallest 22 rimfire with a transfer bar ignition system will be a top break third model iver johnson safety automatic revolver (1909-1941/42). this is a small revlover that would fit your requirements. if you are luck enough to find one with a two inch barrel all the better.

none of the other revolvers you mentioned have the transfer bar ignition (called by iver johnson "Hammer the Hammer"). as to the caliber of these small revolver they are limited to shorts and longs mostly because of the cylinder length.

i have a small display i some times show at the Houston Gun collectors shows of small double action 22 rimfire revolvers. it is amazing how small some of these are.
    bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Bill. Is the "top break third model iver johnson safety automatic revolver (1909-1941/42" you mention a model 1900? What are its distinguishing features/markings? I plan to look for one, but am not sure what to look for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the model 1900 is a pull pin cylinder release solid frame that does not have the hammer the hammer action. the third model safety automatic revolver is a top break revolver that does have the hammer the hammer action.

first pic is the 22 rimfire Safety Auto Revolver OAL= 6 3/8 inches and OAH= 3 1/2 inches

next is the Model 1900 22 rimfire OAL= 6 inches and OAH= 3 1/2 inches

[img][/img]058.jpg
    [img][/img]035.jpg
    bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again, Bill. You have been very helpful. I appreciate it. Gerald