In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage model 99 250-3000

jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Ask the Experts
My brother in law has a Savage model 99 in this caliber, and having trouble finding the 250-3000 ammo.
He said he has heard that this is the same caliber as 25-06.
I have no clue.
Can any of you experts help me out on this!
Thanks a lot!!
Jim

Comments

• Options
    dsphddsphd Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not true to my knowledge. I have two of these guns. I have not found too much of a problem locating the Savage 250-3000 ammo. I even ordered a case through a gun dealer friend quite sometime ago. I thing the factory does a seasonal run on this ammo. Also check out this and other gun sites under ammo.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jamesjo.

First and foremost, using the correct terms is important.

Caliber is the defined as the diameter of the projectile.

Cartridge is the term for the assembly of components including the projectile, case, powder and primer.

Now, both cartridges mentioned are .25 caliber. However, they are distinctly different cartridges and cannot be used interchangeably.

The .250-3000 Savage name has been shortened to simply .250 Savage. You might have him try looking for this name instead. I know it's available online but might not be on the shelves at your local 'mart'.

Best.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe all ammo is now labeled 250 Savage, was 250/3000 Savage. Do not try and use any other ammo!

Is available online and most bigger sporting good/outdoor stores. But, my 250 Savage will NOT group any new 100gr ammo well(Tech note 1-14" twist). I have to hand load 87gr Hornady's or Speer's to group well, and push them over 3000fps.(Less than 2") But will be a great deer rifle to 200 yards. Recoil is pleasant.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jamesjo,

As skyfish noted you may need to get with your brother in law and find out what twist the barrel has. So far as I know they came in three twists, 1-10", 1-12" and 1-14". skyfish and I compared notes a while back and we both have 1-14" twists. They won't stabilize 100 gr. factory ammo. Which most ammo is on the shelves today. They will only stabilize up to 90-95 gr. bullets depending on what style they are, which affects length.

Otherwise, the 1-12" will stabilize 100 gr. bullets and 117 gr. round nose. If you need to stabilize the 110-120 spitzer/VLD type bullets you need a 1-10"

FWIW, these are an awesome little round if you reload.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish, sand warrior,
    Thanks for the replies!
    He did find some ammo, and yes it is 100 Grain.
    It is all he could find.
    Now a couple more questions if I may.
    When you say the slower twists won't stabilize the heavier bullets, what kind of groups are you talking about?
    He is not concerned with 1/2" groups punching paper , but more like maintaining good hunting size groups. More like 4" @ 100-150 yards.
    It is his son's deer gun, and for the most part, other than a little shooting to check the sights, it will only be shot during deer season. Hopefully only once!
    He is going to check the twist and get back to me.
    Is there an easy way to check this?
    He said he will take it to his local shop, I was wondering if the rate of twist is stamped somewhere?
    hopefully the 100 grain bullets will be ok for hunting accuracy, as he doesn'r reload.
    Again guys, thanks for the info, it is appreciated!!
    Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JamesJo,

4" groups may be about the norm with 100 gr. factory ammo. 100 yds is about as far as I would trust it. Too bad the original mentality for this round doesn't still hold and we would see 75 and 85/87 gr. bullets. Fortunately they don't use overly long bullets. both Remington and Winchester use a kind of stubby bullet so it will sort of stabilize.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My rifle in 250-3000 is an older 1899 with a detachable barrel. It shoots the 100 grain modern ammo very well with no signs of instability out to 200 yards. That's as far as I can shoot with iron sights and hit a paper plate most of the time, and is about the practical limit of this caliber anyway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Twalker,

I only mention 100 yds. as because the bullets may not be stable and accuracy falls off.

With a 1-14" twist, using 87/90 gr. bullets, this caliber is easily a 500 yd. shooter, or more. But that depends more at this point on the rifle. The Savage 99, while accurate, was not nearly as accurate as Winchester model 70's. Or, the Rem 700 classic with a 1-10" twist. With a 1-10" twist in a bolt action and handloading 115 Berger's or even Nosler BT's, this is a 1000 yd. caliber.

FWIW, many top long range accuracy cartridges today either find their beginnings in this case, or have come full circle to be very close to this case. The biggest difference in the latter is that they started out with straighter case walls and were not improved like cases based off of the .250 Savage.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jamesjo,

"When you say the slower twists won't stabilize the heavier bullets, what kind of groups are you talking about?"

The problem is not group size.

The problem is the position that the bullet arrives at the target. It will not be presented point first and open correctly. It will arrive at the target slightly or completely sideways, often referred to as 'keyholing'. This can result in a wounded deer that is able to run away but suffers needlessly.

You can check these 100 grain loads on a paper target but if the hole isn't round, please don't try to use these for deer hunting.

This is a supplier of .250 Savage ammunition loaded as it was originally, with 87 grain spitzer bullets:

http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/645

The best solution is to get started reloading and learn to craft your own accuracy loads for both hunting and shooting paper. I suggest finding someone local who is a reloader and is also willing to help guide you through the process. It's much easier to watch and become more familiar with the process first.

The cartridge is a superb design but it has suffered from the increased selection of new cartridges and the need for speed.

Best.