In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ottoman Turkish Flintlock Blunderbuss?

VPNAVYVPNAVY Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
My local antique shop has (what I think is) a Ottoman Turkish Flintlock Blunderbuss. I can't find any markings, etc. on it - hoping members can help me identify and value this puppy. The owner is asking $550 firm. I really like the looks and would like to add it to my collection but now sure if it is over priced, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Blunderbuss_001.jpg
Blunderbuss_002.jpg
Blunderbuss_003.jpg
Blunderbuss_004.jpg
Blunderbuss_005.jpg
Blunderbuss_006.jpg
Blunderbuss_007.jpg
Blunderbuss_008.jpg
Blunderbuss_009.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great care should be taken! Most of these weren't made as legitimate military or civilian firearms. But for either sale to gullible tourists, or as salute guns for weddings and celebrations.

Although being flintlocks, and having the appearance of great age. Many are crudely made, and artificially aged.

Given the above. I would be extremely wary of paying $550. Without a hands on inspection, by a very knowledgeable collector/dealer. Who has great expertise, in Middle Eastern/North African antique firearms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your comments.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've been to Turkey many times and as rufe-snow has said, the tourist shops are filled with these sorts of items.

This is a photo of a legitimate lock from an 1800 era Ottoman blunderbuss:
    MVC-004S_zps7qgpkxyc.jpg
    Here is yours:
    Blunderbuss_001.jpg

$550 seems like a lot of money to run a risk of getting a reproduction, but I am not an expert in these firearms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The threads on the jaw screw look machine turned and while possible in Europe during the period, it would seem much less likely in Turkey. The screws that are holding the cock/hammer and the frizzen look modern as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Funny you should say that - I have been searching all night and the screws did look a little out of character - thanks for pointing that out to me. Gosh - everything is a risk these days.

Thanks!
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guns were often made with old British or European locks with locally made parts added as needed. I am certainly no expert either, but wonder if that huge bell had any real function other than attracting tourists.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Above comments pretty much on target. I'd say the lock is real, European ca 1800 but the exaggerated funnel-muzzle can only be a eye-catcher, possibly for tourists or possibly back in the day, to be carried by guards of a potentate. Decor on the gun is believable.

I owned a number of blunderbusses & worked on maybe a dozen more & none had a muzzle flare more than about 3X the bore.

In a respectable gun collection this piece Could possibly provide comic relief if you could get for couple hundred dollars.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Worthless tourist junk. Run away from it and don't look back.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll add my little tidbit: There should be a date in Arabic somewhere on it. They really liked to date those things. I'm no expert by any means but I lived in Turkey for three years and looked at lots of old junk. Tom