In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 870 slug guns

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Did the barrels on Remington 870 slug guns from the late 1970s to the early or mid 1980s come in smooth bore or riled or both? Is there anyway to tell if a slug barrel is original to a shotgun?

Comments

• Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a smoothbore 870 Barrel with the long, thin cantilever on it. It is threaded for the Rem Choke tubes. It was advertised as a turkey deer barrel. The cantilever was 2 piece using a couple of machine screws. The part over the receiver had a small rubber piece on the bottom to prevent metal to metal contact with the receiver. "Special" rings were needed.

Using a rifled tube, I shot a deer at measured 80 yards. With a very tight aftermarket choke tube I shot a couple of jakes at 25 - 30 yards. Then I switched to an 1100 to tame the recoil for the slug loads. Couldn't get any decent accuracy with Rem sabot slug loads and after trying about 5 different brands settled on a Winchester Sabot load.

Later Remington came out with a shorter cantilever that used standard rings. As far as I know, Remington still uses this shorter design.

Hope this info helps.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were smooth bored. I bought one back in 73. The first rifled shotgun barrels were years later. They were aftermarket barrels imported from France. As I recall,the name that they were sold under was Hastings. I don't know if this was the name of the U.S. importer, or the actual name of the French manufacturer?

As far as the 870 barrels were concerned. All it took to change them was to unscrew the magazine nut on the forend. I don't recall if the slug barrels were marked, in any way?

You might try calling Remington to see if the date on the barrel. Coincides with the receiver serial number manufacturer date.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At that time Rem 870 slug barrels were all smooth bore. Rem shotgun barrels do not have serial numbers so they cannot be verified as original to he receiver. Hastings of France introduced their Paradox fully rifled barrels for most Remington shotguns.(Vey accurate and very popular) in the late 1980's. Also expensive.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hastings Paradox = Lebeau-Courailly IIRC. That's a pretty storied name when they made them for Hastings. Bought one in the early 2000's for 100. Sitting in the gun pit somewhere in the box.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    It is my belief that original 870 Wingmaster slug guns have factory recoil pads. So do magnum bird guns.

It is very easy to tell a Hastings from a Remington barrel. Contour is different, sights are different, lengths are differrent.

In that time frame they were smooth bore.

Barrel date code should match the vintage of the receiver.