In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

picked up a winchester 1886 in 40-82 today.

eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
1886 win in 40-82, 26" oct barrel serial #69589 with a ex bore. it has sat in a closet for over 70 years, no cracks or splits in wood and not sanded,some figure in wood,screws not buggered and over all wood and metal finish looks good and a two piece box of factory shells. i would like to clean the dried grease off and out off the metal and also clean the wood a little(not sand or strip). with the deal i made i have close to 2000.00 in it. eastbank.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post some pic's. Sounds like a nice rifle.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    eastbank,
    I use Midway Gun Bright metal cleaning pads, they look sort of like steel wool, only curly. Gently go over all the metal and wood. Clean the metal with Kroil. I use a 50-50% mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine on old Winchester and military stocks. Wipe it on, let it soak in, it will refresh the stock.
    This is a picture of my model 75 Winchester I used this treatment on.
    W.D.
    IMGP03581.JPG
    IMGP0355.JPG
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eastbank,

I don't like to clean guns too much. I want to see the grime in the screw slots and corners. That shows a buyer the gun has been together for a long time on a collector gun. I do clean the metal a little with 0000 steel wool and oil just to bring out the blue. I would not put linseed oil on your wood unless your gun was a oil finish to begin with, your gun might of been a varnish finish.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg