In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wingmaster & 870 Express Stock same?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a 870 Wingmaster and need a replacement stock and forend. Are the stocks and forends from a 870 Express the same and will they fit my Wingmaster? Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been numerous changes in specifications of Remington shotgun parts throughout production. Even parts for the exact same model may not fit.

If it were me, I would pay a professional to do the job, or make sure that I could return any parts that did not fit my shotgun.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google says they will interchange. Boyd's just list 870's. I like the look of the thumbhole ones for $65. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=3U&Model=217&Action=2J
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might make a suggestion, and it all depends on what you are doing with your shotgun. I have one of the very first 870 EXPRESS Turkey guns. I wanted to reduce recoil by adding a Simms(Limb Saver) pad. I also added the synthetic stock and forend. The synthetic stock, has more flex to it, and also helps reduce recoil. The Remington pads doe their synthetic stock, are the Simms pad.

But to answer your question, in my experience, the different types of stocks...walnut/beech, laminated, or synthetic, will fit, within the gauge of the gun...12/16 will fit the stocks for the 12...20 for 20, etc.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would pay the extra to locate a wingmaster stock, the value on decent wingmasters have gone way up and an express stock would devalue it greatly.

My .02 cents here..you can find camo stocks for an 870 and that would dress it up nice, and not incur the high cost of the wingmaster stock.

There are two styles of wingmaster stocks, the newer style has an extra checkered area that is seperate around the wrist area, and the forends have a different checkering from older to newer style. Remington has replacement wingmaster buttstocks for $155.00. They don't carry the wingmaster forend????

I also know the 12 and 20 gauge buttstocks are interchangable except the forends are not because of the magazine tube diameter.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies! The Wingmaster has a youth stock on it now and its too short. I have an 18" blued barrel on it now and just want an inexpensive express stock to use as a home defense weapon. I will keep the good wood in case I ever sell it down the road.