In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt series 70 45

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
bought a colt series 70 in 45 the mag it came with is to short by 1/4 to and half inch and the pistol will not feed the clip is an colt 45 clip not sure what it fits can sumone tell me what clip would be original to this pistol.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    do not know what you have but a S70 will take any colt type 45 mag
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you got a Colt Officers ACP magazine which is one round shorter than a Government Model (1911) magazine.

Get a magazine that says it is for a 1911 or Government Model.
    There are many brands. I think the McCormick Power Mag is a good deal but there are others.
  • Options
    tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    forgemonkey thank ya hit the nail on head the one on right looks like the one i got with it but will not chamber or lock up the other on left looks like the one i used out of a series 80 that locked up and shot fine...Thanks
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tobyfloyd61
    bought a colt series 70 in 45 the mag it came with is to short by 1/4 to and half inch and the pistol will not feed the clip is an colt 45 clip not sure what it fits can sumone tell me what clip would be original to this pistol.Thanks

I think you've gotten good answers above. You've probably got an officers model magazine, which will fit in your mag well, but is too short to function in a full-sized gun.

In this image, the full sized model is on top, officer's model on bottom. The middle "in between" pistol is a Commander:

1911Commanders-Lead600.jpg

If you care about such things, "original" magazine (not "clip") for your gun would be a Colt issued one. You can get one if for some reason you wanted your gun to be 100% "authentic".

But any full sized or "government" 1911 magazine will work. These are cheap and readily available, and the better aftermarket brands are as good. . if not better than. . .the Colt originals.

As to which brand/type, many individuals swear by Wilson combat mags. Chip McCormick mags are good. I've actually had good luck with the cheap C-products magazines.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the "Officers Model" answer is probably correct, keep in mind Detonics magazines are a good deal shorter than those for full sized 1911 pistols. Detonics magazines generally have a "Loaded Magazine Indicator" at the bottom. Basically a thin cutout that allows the back bottom tab of the follower to protrude a bit.