In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arisaka: Serial # or Assembly #?

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
My WW2 Jap Arisaka has matching numbers on the receiver, bolt and dust cover. The number on the bayonet mount is different. Should this part also match the rifle?

Thanks

-Otter
IMG_12113.JPG
IMG_12105.JPG

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know, but the machine work on yours is way better than mine.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that the bayonets were numbered and those numbers do not match the guns even as issued.
    So it is a possibility you have the correct mount.

Here is the whole story on Arisaka markings.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Yes it should. All numbered parts should match to have a truely "matching" rifle. The good part is that not all front barrel band/bayo mounts were numbered. So if you find an un-numbered one to replace the mismatch you have, no one will know except you, me and whoever reads this thread. [:)]
  • Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Babun, That is an excellent link! Found out that my type 38 is a Nagoya concentric ring and possibly a second class arm according to the notes. Still shoots fine.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yblockhead
    Babun, That is an excellent link! Found out that my type 38 is a Nagoya concentric ring and possibly a second class arm according to the notes. Still shoots fine.

There was a time in my younger years that I could remember lots of things like that.
    Now I have to use "bookmarks" on my browsers.
    [V][V][V]
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Yes it should. All numbered parts should match to have a truely "matching" rifle." ???

I'm not so sure, depending upon year, rifle model (Type), and arsenal maker. From McCollum's book "Japanese Rifles Of World War"...

"Until the 1930's, rifle parts were numbered to match a rifle's assembly number.The assembly number differed from the rifle's serial number ... on many small parts."

"During the 1930's, Japanese arsenals began using the last three digits of a rifle's serial number to match while others continued to be numbered to match a separate assembly number."

After about 1940, the serial number was used almost exclusively for matching numbered parts". {Underlined by me, 45er}.

So, my opinion, (and that's all it is with my slim knowledge), is it can be a crap shoot? More so if there were sub-contractors. If anyone else with a reliable source can add to better straighten this out, sure we'd all like to know.

Also, please note, the great link given by Babun -- do copy & print, or paste the data elsewhere in your computer, for there have been web-sites that have had this info for years, but are now defunct.

45er
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    It would depend on the Arsenal/Series, which is not given. T-99's were pretty universally serial numbered. I'm not aware of any that weren't.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had some early and mid war ones and all matched -want to go crazy, try to get one of each series change, mind boggling- I gave up and sold 15 rifles and each had a difference on it somehow---