In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cracks in the Remington 740 forend

nsg5257nsg5257 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone the underlying cause of the cracks in the Remington 740/742 forends? Before I buy a new wood one, I'd like to know if there is a reason so many crack & if it can be prevented. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is thin wood failure. Get a synthetic or a Ruger Boat Anchor design wood one and it will last.

Force the crack open, work in some epoxy. Bungee it up to dry.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/740-39565.htm?results=All
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The forend has probably outlasted the reliability of the rifle itself. It was inherently a poor designed rifle series, all the way around...function, and reliability, ergonomics, etc. They are not the only "Thin" forearms to do so...Winchester 1894's, Browning A-5's, and a few others. Synthetic will fix it for sure, and you might try a laminate, from Boyd's.

Best
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regular wood glue (type II) will work well to repair it. If the visual appearance of the cracks bother you, then you need a new piece.
  • Options
    nsg5257nsg5257 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wood is very thin as you said. I know the Browning A-5 would crack if it was not screwed down tight. I would think the steel liners would have prevented it. I have used wood glue as well is bedding compound. Both failed to hold it. It looks like synthetic will be the only choice if there is not a trick to the installation of it.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Current forearms will not fit.
    The older 740 and some 742 rifles used a thicker and wider action bars. These will not fit in the forearm of current 7400.

A design change mid 1970's corrected the problem
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I installed a Knox stock & fore end (synthetic) on my older model 742. Nothing to it and function was fine.
    The cause of the cracks? I don't know as 5 of the six 742 rifles I've owned were fine while the 6th had a cracked forearm. It may be due to the action bars flexing outward in the initial stages of cycling.
    Older brother had a 742 circa 1966(?) that he had restocked-the original forearm was cracked(not the reason for restocking). About 20 rounds later the nicely figured forearm cracked--not a happy moment.