In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

single vs double action

skeeterpointskeeterpoint Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Ask the Experts
Which is the best action for an auto loader: single or double?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best for what purpose? I am not a fan of double action only. I'll take a crisp single action trigger break most every time.
  • Options
    skeeterpointskeeterpoint Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the reply[:)]
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no fan of double action only. The double action semi-auto is my choice for a carry gun. Getting the shot off quickly in a self defense situation is important. The disadvantage of single action/double action is the difference in trigger pull from first shot to subsequent shots. I also have the same question as skeeterpoint. For what purpose will the firearm be used?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a ParaOrdnance C7 45 that is LDA. As an old revolver shooter, the DA trigger (same every shot) feels very natural to me, and is a carry gun- not a match gun.

YMMV
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then you have the Glocks which are between the two.

The HK in one variant can be either. You can carry it cocked and locked or hammer down with DA first shot and SA after. The safety is also a hammer drop.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    That Is why I like the H&K P7 M8 same light trigger pull each time
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skeeterpoint
    Which is the best action for an auto loader: single or double?
    thanks

"Best" for what purpose?

For pure accuracy/target shooting, there is no question that a match-grade single action trigger is "best".

In general, single action is better for accuracy, double action helps to prevent negligent discharge in stressful situations.

Many police agencies like DA, because of institutional history with negligent discharge. For example, the NY City police department, which happens to be the largest municipal PD on the planet, has guidelines requiring DA only guns or guns with DA-like trigger weight (EG Glocks with the so-called "New York" trigger).

Double action *can* be used for "double strike", giving you a second hammer hit against a round that doesn't go off without having to recock the hammer or striker. Sometimes the second hit makes a round go off.

Many guns are "traditional" DA/SA, so you get a double-action pull on the first trigger pull (for safety), then every shot after that is SA. Usually these guns have decocking type safeties (but not always) and in most cases you can manually cock the hammer for a first SA shot too, if you like.

Beretta 92, Sig P226, Smith and Wesson "number" series autos, and original Walther p99 would be examples of this type of gun. CZ75 is another one, but uses a traditional safety, so if you're willing to manually decock (ie carefully control hammer drop on live round), you can carry "cocked and locked" if you like.

IMO single biggest advantage of DA is that you don't have to worry about a manual safety. IE, you don't accidentally leave it on "safe" when you want to fire, and you don't accidentally put it into "safe" when you want to fire. For this reason, I personally do like DA/SA guns, though this is a subjective preference; many people hate this type of trigger system.

A good "DA only" system (EG SIG with DAK trigger, Para Ordinance LDA, etc) can give you a DA trigger pull that's longer than a "normal SA", not much heavier, and consistent from shot to that. Many individuals find this type of system to be a good compromise between a heavy pull DA-only and true SA in terms of accuracy vs safety.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care for DA only semi-auto pistols. Probably OK for cop guns but I prefer the option of that SA trigger pull. Some DA only guns have an OK trigger but I had a guy bring a fairly high dollar compact 40 S&W to me a couple of weeks ago to check the sights. He couldn't hit an 18"x 24" target consistently simply because of the horrendously long and rough trigger pull. I forced myself to overcome it and showed him the gun hit POA and left him to resolve the rest of the problem on his own.