In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

serial # location

moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to find the location of the serial number on a Winchester model 1887 lever action 12 ga. shotgun. thanks in advance

Comments

• moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today I found a decent (not spectacular) 1894 rifle, 38-55 895.00
    It looked to me to be priced right, but then I noticed the ser# was stamped to small. At least 1/2 the normal size.
    The # had no doubt been filed off, and this new stamp applied.

Is there any other location (internally?)where tho original ser# would be found?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    No. One place only, the tang.

Without a letter from ATF this is very bad...
    edited November -1
    MG please explain your answer,the ser# is not on the tang externally.
    On the 1894 it is stamped on the under side of the receiver.
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its only on the under side of the receiver next to the barrel. The only way to recover the serial number is to lift it with a acid like the crime lab uses but that's if it hasn't been stamped over to badly. If you haven't bought it, don't, its not worth the hassle. If you did buy it, they would have to sand and polish the area then apply the acid. Any finish would be lost in the area. It could be that they restamped the correct serial number but with the wrong stamps but you wouldn't know until you lift the old ones. Here is a 73 that had the serial raised.

Bob

tang.jpg
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
    edited November -1
    I'm proud to admit I did have sense enough to stay away from it, but I was only thinking of the gun having a lesser value by not being able to accuratly identifying it. I did'nt think about the legal aspect as MG1890 mentioned.

Thanks for the advice.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Yeah, oops, I was wrong. On the 1894 the serial number is on the bottom of the receiver, not the tang. Sorry!
    edited November -1
    I don't think it would be illegal since it wasn't until the Gun Control Act of 68 that required serial numbers and if it could be determined the gun was made before than, it didn't need a serial number. There are Winchesters made that didn't have serial numbers and they are legal. There are 94's that had their serial numbers obliterated, then stamped WRACO where the serial number was, they are legal.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it didn't have any serial number, and was made before 1968, it would be legal. Any removal, or changing of a serial number is illegal...even if the firearm pertains to antique status, unless approved by the BATFE before hand.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,813 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, what tsr1965 said. It is illegal to be in possession of a firearm with a removed, altered, or defaced serial number regardless of when it was made. If it has a different serial number than it left the factory with, it needs to have the blessings of the jackboots to be good.
    edited November -1
    So the 94's with the WRACO stamped over the serial number need ATF clearance?
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    there are 73,s and 86,s with replacement winchester lower tangs with out serial numbers. that i have seen being sold. i wonder how you would ever find out what the factory serial number was. mr. myopic.
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    there are 73,s and 86,s with replacement winchester lower tangs with out serial numbers. that i have seen being sold. i wonder how you would ever find out what the factory serial number was. mr. myopic.

I would say it is impossible to find the original SN of the rifle.
    Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
    edited November -1
    OK this is getting interesting, The dealer that has it was doing background checks so I'm guessing he had an FFL. When I questioned the ser# He claimed to have searched it on a "Hot list" and it was'nt stolen.I think he also has a B.S degree.

Would the dealer have an issue with this gun in his inventory?
    This is a consighnment gun.

Is there any way of getting an ATF blessing at this stage of the guns life?

The ser# it has shows a date of issue of 8/1904 Acording to Berts 1894 sticky