In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1905 Semi, 45 ACP?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
A buddy of mine has one of these that he inherited from his brother's estate. It's in pretty rough shape due to there being a chunk missing out of the front lower left portion of the slide and I don't think it's in shootable condition. Any guesses as to what he might get out of it as a parts gun?
I know ya'll want pictures but he's pretty old school and doesn't want pics of his stuff on 'the interwebs'.
Edit 1;
nmyers, thanks for the quick reply. There is literally a small piece of the slide mssing. The wedge is still present but the slide is broken and gone forward and below the wedge on the left side. the rest of the gun is (and I suck at this!) probably 65-75%. I don't know what kind of abuse the poor ol' gun got to break the slide like that, but it must've taken quite a hit.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Chunk missing"? Do you mean the slot where the wedge goes? If so, that's not a problem as far as the value of the slide.

But, there are not a lot of surviving 1905's, so really no way to know how many owners are looking to replace missing parts. My guess is that the wedge is the most likely part to have been lost, so.....

I would think that, regardless of abuse, it would make a good candidate for a Turnbull restoration. Just no way to know how many folks out there are looking for this model or what they would pay.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way for him to sell, would be on the auction. Be able to reach the greatest group, of prospective buyers. To do this, he will have to have excellent quality close-up photos.

Unfortunately with the noted problems, with broken slide and poor condition. It seems at best to be a candidate for restoration, as Neal noted. Sometimes though, parting out a uncommon desirable collectors item. Will bring in more money. Than selling it as a broken clunker. Shame as it's a rare Colt. Less than 6000 made, and that was over 100 years ago.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've had a couple of 1905's, shot them too. You would have better luck selling it as a complete unit to some poor soul that needs one for a slot in his collection.

I have bought whole guns just to get a couple of parts I needed and since the 1905 is a niche weapon, only the astute would be interested in it, so parting it out is an error in my opinion.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Many of the 1905 were damaged in this area I had serial #11 and it was darn near 95 % but both sides of the slide had the beginning
    of a crack about 1/4 inch long I should have kept it but made me sad to look and not be able to shoot. I think they were meant for lighter loads sort of like the model 1902 in 38 ACP NOT 38-SUPER I have seen same damage in same place on them
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have read, frame cracking is not unusual on the 1905 .45.