In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 61 ?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Ask the Experts
looking for the value of a first year octagon barrel model 61 22 long rifle. gun is in great cond except somebody drilled and tapped it for a scope. serial number is 1800. how bad did they ruin the worth by drilling and tapping the receiver?

Comments

• Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    50% give or take.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how much is it worth ?general ballpark in lets say 90% cond with it drilled and tapped
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked up your gun and it should be in the $2800 to 3200 range, without the scope mount holes. depends on the quality of work done. I would take a third off, some would say more, some collectors will lower their standards below perfection to have your example.
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Your rifle was manufactured during 1932, the first year of the Model 61 production. Based on my research it fits into the first group of .22 LR octagon barrel variations produced. The SN range is from 1742 to 1849. Yes, the D&T for the scope is a major value killer for most serious collectors. I would say it would have a potential value around $1200 tops for most guys. Make certain it is not also refinished!!! If you can get some photos I will be happy to take a look at it.
    WACA 61 Survey
    http://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-22-rim-fire/model-61-research-survey/

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    $500 bucks worth of restoration work will make a huge difference!

Get rid of the drill holes and have the receiver correctly reblued. Collector value is already substantially lowered; I think this rifle may be a good candidate to have the receiver welded and reblued.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry but I don't understand when you say $500 worth of restoration could make a huge difference. what kind of restoration? I have always heard restoration lowers collector value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if I were to list this rifle what should I start the bidding at? please don't say .01 because I don't have the sack for that lol.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You start the bidding at the lowest $ amount you will take. I saw one a while back bring over $1000 with 2 side mount holes in it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mod1892 I went to your survey site and listed this gun for you. hope it helps. I am going to be listing this gun very soon so keep an eye out for ddhotbot auctions. thanks for all your help guys.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cranky2
    You start the bidding at the lowest $ amount you will take. I saw one a while back bring over $1000 with 2 side mount holes in it.

Considerably over that amount as I recall.
    What's next?