In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Target Pistol

drjincdrjinc Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
which is the best with a cost of $500 or less?
Sig Hammerlli, S&W 22A, or used 22 Magnum of any type?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What would be a good target pistol?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at getting a target pistol. Specifically something I can just go out to the range with and practice. Was thinking of a 22 but not sure what type. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is a good 38spl revolver to use for target shooting?
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a S&W man so I may be prejudiced, but there are several good choices. The #1 target 38 has always been the S&W K-38 model 14 with 6" bbl, target trigger, hammer and grips. The 357's are also a good alternative. Theoretically, not quite as accurate with wadcutters as the Model 14, but you will have to be awful good to know the difference. It also gives the versatility of using 357 loads, of course. Here we would consider the Model 19 and the Model 586. These are blued guns, and there are stainless equivalents, but I'm old and I like Blue.
    Hope I've been of assistasnce.
    Morty
    Have fun, be careful!
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OPEN SIGHTS? I have to agree with KING999, Years ago > I used the model 14 S&W, 147 grain semi-wadcutter (no gas check), 1 Grease groove. If I recall correctly: 4.2 grain of "Unique". Full Wadcutters, were very accurate at 25 -35 yards and powder needs to be cut back a little.

In the .357 class, (believe it or not), I shot the Ruger Blackhawk, 147 gr SWC, 6.2 grain of Unique. 200 yds open sights at Bowling Pins, hitting about 90%. free hand - 100% Resting.

The 14 S&W with a little Trigger Polishing does for the majority of serious shooters. But if you wanna Compete: Just order a Douglas Premium Heavy Stainless Barrel, You can re-barrel yourself, try and find a Pinned Barrel "Model 14, 8 3/8". When applying the new barrel, try and get the Flash Gap to appx - .004 or thick as a common piece of paper. If the shank is a little too long, Brass Shim between the barrel and topstrap, if it is too short, take it to someone with a lathe and have them turn the appropriate amount off, screw in and Pin, being sure the slot for the ejector is in the correct place. It's a "NO BRAINER". Good Shooting! [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hhmmmmmmm! Hate to say this, but the Smith might be a fine gun but for a Target "Match" Revolver, there is ONLY One! A Colt "Officer's Model Match," or the Target Special, which is an earlier Model and were made for only one thing...... To Shoot .38 Special Ammo at Targets and to win the Match! Un-paralleled Accuracy......right out of the box! You can find these from "Shooters" showing some age and wear to New In the Box! Prices are reasonable, too, considering the value of the gun to a Target Shooter! You Want the Best? Get One of These COLTS! Nothing Shoots .38 Specials like one of these!

"Life is FRAGILE!" Handle With Care!
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now! RP: You know that you are Prejudiced. [;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    kpmtnskpmtns Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt Python is no slouch either. Supposedly the slightly tapered bore gives it an accuracy edge.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gonna have to agree with the colt officers match. well worth it. just remember, if youre going to win, youll have to invest in more than just a gun. to win, have it tuned for max performance. most people will agree that s&w's are easier and cheaper to work on. get a cheap s&w and dump some real bucks into it and make a real winner. that will work too!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the info I was leaning towards the S&W I already have a S&W 67 38spl with target hammer and trigger installed.The 67 is a great gun and very accurate I was just looking for somthing to give me a little more of an edge.
    Thanks Again [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will you be shooting single action or double action mostly?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    AcymanAcyman Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    u have to be kidding, right? for NRA bullseye? The revolver is a horrible handicap in rapidfire. The AMU has come up with ways to make the M9 9mm group 1.5" or better at 50 yds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tell that to a couple thousand old timers who use to shoot revolvers in 3 gun events in the golden years! great thing about 38's, most can shoot 25 yards out of the box...unlike 9mm's that need 'building.' case in point, m-25-2's against armory stock 45's. who will win? can you guess i like revolvers just as much? look at the line of recoil too, its right through your thumb and down your arm, not sitting high causing the gun to rock. and with a good set of grips the 38's a great gun. and to an old guy who can master it, its a real show watch them. its like opera. besides we all know, its all in the front sight that wins matches anyway!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.