In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stainless Single Six fluted 22 magnum ?

para3505para3505 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a stainless ruger 22mag. the serial number puts it a 1973 manufactured. It only came with one cylinder and it was fluted. IT also came with a ruger cylinder box and red bag. It is not marked 22 magnum like I usually see in stores and gunshows. Also it doesn't have the last 3 of the serial number on the front of the cylinder. about all I can make out is 'p', 'c', and the last 2 of the serial number. Anyone have any Ideas on this? Did the early new models come with only a magnum cylinder? I ran a 22cal cleaning rod through it and it seemed to be fine. I will test the paper around the cylinder trick later.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it is a mag cylinder??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YEs it fits 22mag rounds I fired a few out of it this morning. Thank you for posting.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of no Stainless single six that were made 22 mag only. There was a blue model that was 22 mag only.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok thanks. I thought the 22lr cylinder had been lost. Any ideas on a fluted 22 magnum cylinder?
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    I know of no Stainless single six that were made 22 mag only. There was a blue model that was 22 mag only.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Here's a 1970's vintage Ruger Single Six with .22lr and .22 magnum cylinders. Note that BOTH cylinders are fluted. Even the manual shows both fluted cylinders. As others have suggested, I think you're just missing the .22lr cylinder:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=53004922
    pix3435564296.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider? That's what I thought. I just wanted to check with the experts. quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Here's a 1970's vintage Ruger Single Six with .22lr and .22 magnum cylinders. Note that BOTH cylinders are fluted. Even the manual shows both fluted cylinders. As others have suggested, I think you're just missing the .22lr cylinder:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=53004922
    pix3435564296.jpg
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I have never seen an unfluted single six before even with the Mag cylinder. The little bearcat 22 has an unfluted cylinder in 22 long rifle.

The old 44 mag made in the 1970's had an unfluted cylinder too.

But I have never seen a 22 mag stainless steel unfluted cylinder. That doesn't mean they didn't make one, there are many models I haven't seen.

Maybe you can contact the Ruger website and get a heads up from them.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sig232
    I have never seen an unfluted single six before even with the Mag cylinder. The little bearcat 22 has an unfluted cylinder in 22 long rifle.

The old 44 mag made in the 1970's had an unfluted cylinder too.

But I have never seen a 22 mag stainless steel unfluted cylinder. That doesn't mean they didn't make one, there are many models I haven't seen.

Maybe you can contact the Ruger website and get a heads up from them.

Here ya go, Sig:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=53017532
    pix3445102125.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all I think I got it. basically a very old stainless single six missing the 22lr cylinder.