In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Self-Defense Ammo Question

Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
While researching 9mm and .357 magnum self-defense ammo for use within the home, I came across Strike Threer Home Security Pistol Ammo that incorporates three (3) .30 caliber shot balls into one plastic encapsulated round. It appears to be very much like the conventional handgun shotshells, only with much bigger shot.

According to the blurb that accompanies the listing, it minimizes overpenetration while it maximizes stopping power.

Anyone have experience with it or other info about it that they can share?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Lots of companies and countries have experimented with duplex loads like that. Even rifle rounds. They just don't seem to catch on.

When I was a kid, I built some .38 special rounds that used three lead pancakes, each about 4mm thick and .38 caliber. Strictly a short range affair as they wouldn't go through a 2 inch piece of soft pine. In an automatic cartridge that has to be sized within specs, I can imagine there is not much room for powder left. Again, probably a very short range affair.

Maybe some new breakthrough has happen, but I can't imagine what.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Don't waste your money. For home defence I load my pistols with nothing but hydra-shocks. If you want a shotgun blast use a shotgun, which is also a good choice for home defence.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen too many GSW's where a high speed bullet punched through without immediately immobilizing the victim. I would feel comfortable carrying a multi-ball load for Close Encounters of the Worst Kind, especially after seeing the devastation of 1 or 2 balls from a LE shotgun. Besides, a ball doesn't provide much ballistic information if you decide not to stick around for the investigation.

Neal

347698%3B%3A7%7Ffp339%3Enu%3D3238%3E75%3B%3E6%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D323398588%3A779nu0mrj
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    Don't waste your money. For home defence I load my pistols with nothing but hydra-shocks. If you want a shotgun blast use a shotgun, which is also a good choice for home defence.

Solid advice![^]
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

I agree too, but I prefer Corbon ammo (http://www.dakotaammo.net/). I have had very good luck with their standard hollow points in my 9mm. Where I live I have to put down a couple deer a year after they are hit by cars. I have a lot of 1 shot kills and a couple 2 shot kills that were from a distance. I am now using their Powerball ammo in my .40 but havent had a chance to try it out yet. I think you will be better served using more traditionl ammo from the bigger makers; Corbon, Fedral (hydra-shocks), Winchester, remington.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out this site, it's called the Box O' Truth and he uses different ammo from different guns in simulated home situations. It may not be what your looking for but it is interesting. And you get to see the bullet performance.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Likemhot
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    That is an awesome website...I've been wondering about penetration through walls, metal doors, etc. Lots of good info there!!!
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    You're right! Very good site and an eye-opener for sure.

Out here in AZ, 1/2" drywall - not the thicker 5/8" - is the norm, over insulation with a thin exterior stucco veneer over chicken wire on top of 1 1/4" styrofoam on top of 3/4" exterior sheathing. All interior doors - unless it's a high-end or custom home - are run-of-the-mill hollow core.

So, it clearly begs the questions associated with overpenetration versus effective stopping power.

I did some research and observed that for a .357 magnum revolver, Federal Classic #C357B @ 125 gr. and 1,440 fps is highly touted as one of the most effective home-defense rounds. In 9mm, the Cor-Bon +P @115 gr. and 1,340 fps is highly touted as the most effective home-defense round ONLY IF the superior worldwide GECO B.A.T. is not available.

Am I at least in the right part of the ballpark with these recommendations?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is empirical evidence that a burst of several shots from an automatic weapon has greater collective effect on the recipients' nervous system than those same hits in slow or rapid fire.
    A round ball at 1000fps, out of the .36 Navy Colt was said to have been very effective.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing beats the tried and true Hollow point out of a handgun, in my opinion.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.