In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bake on finishes?

bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I bought a series 70 colt that had had a very hard life. I have brought it back to almost new condition except it needs to be refinished in a bad way and I would like to do it myself. I'm leaning toward one of the brownells bake on finishes. Has anybody used them they sound good but I don't want to screw up a good gun?

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's paint. You can strip it off if (when) it starts to flake.
    I would suggest having a professional refinish the gun. It's worth it.
    Bill
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a glock 17 that had a lot of holster wear. refinished it with duracoat and have been very happy with the results.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Built two Colt Commanders that had seen better times in the satin nickel finish. Stripped down and cleaned did the frames in silver bake on and the slides in flat black. Came out nice and have been in use for the past seven years.

Get the best results if you use the stuff in an air brush rather than the can it comes in as the nozzle is finicky. Sprays way too much or nothing at all when you least expect it. Don't bake em in momma's oven or you will be in the doghouse for quite a while. Stuff gives off an very potent almost sickening odor. Did it once and she gave me an old toaster oven for the shop that works great.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Listen to Madman...he got it right.