In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Werstern Arms

Falcon50pilotFalcon50pilot Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Werstern Arms 12 Ga. SxS hammer gun in very good condition. Does anyone know the approx value of it? Also would like some history on the company if possible. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have typed WeRstern Arms twice, so I am loath to assume that is a typo. I find nothing on Werstern Arms, but in case you meant Western Arms, the Blue Books lists it as a former manufacturer located in Ithica, NY. Another reference in my library indicates Western Arms was a division of Ithica Arms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is no typo. The gun was made in Belguim. That is the only thing I know about it's origin.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Belguim?

Any road, it was common practice for knockoff makers in Europe to sell cheap guns with established brand names misspelled so as to deceive the semiliterate or careless buyer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, well, had you said Belgium in your first post, that would have made a difference. Value at about $100 as a wall hanger, give or take a little depending upon condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just had this gun checked at Briley in Houston. I was told that low brass was fine to shoot. They placed the value at $1800-$2000 due to the detailed engraving. I asked about the history on Werstern and they could not provide me with any.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Falcon50pilot
    I just had this gun checked at Briley in Houston. I was told that low brass was fine to shoot. They placed the value at $1800-$2000 due to the detailed engraving. I asked about the history on Werstern and they could not provide me with any.

Briley's is a very well known and reputable outfit. That somebody there would tell you that a Belgian Damascus Hammer Gun, is worth "$1800-$2000" and is safe to fire with smokeless "low brass" shells is difficult to believe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are assuming that the barrells are damascus, when in FACT they are not. You haven't seen the gun, yet you question my integrity. I hope that other members here don't have your attitude.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So you already had all the information on the gun except who actually made it, which likely you will never determine, and now you asking us for the same information? We always welcome new folks here, we can certainly use more knowledge and experience, but you are really not off to a great start. Posting photos would be an huge help, and give us almost to work with as Briley had. While it may possibly be worth $1800, finding an actual buyer willing to pay that may be a yet another challenge. For that sort of money I could buy a British box lock.