In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rossi quality

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I posted a rossi related question earlier and got feedback from one member about rossi making a low quality firearm. This is the 5th rossi I've owned and never had a problem yet. Any body had a bad rossi experience please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I had no problem with their lever action rifles, after about three hours of minor machine work and some polishing. They are OK guns for what they cost.
  • Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never had a problem with my Rossi .17 HMR its a nice little gun, and for its price it was a good deal.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "quality" of Rossi guns depends on your definition of the word.

There is nothing wrong with the basic construction of these guns. The metallurgy is as good as most makers. They don't blow up, they don't fail, & they don't loosen up, & they don't gall any more than similar guns.

However, the corners are sharp enough to hurt your hand, the fit & finish vary from "OK" to "terrible", final polishing seems to be absent, trigger pull may be heavy, & the action may be gritty &/or mushy.

Rossi is no longer in business; they were acquired by Taurus. Taurus manufacturers & sell guns with the Rossi name, but these guns are Tauri, they are not Rossis.

Neal
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    first you must find what threshold you measure their quality at, i know of no one personally that would even begin to compare them to a smith and wesson, colt or ruger, i have seen the cylinder latch fail to keep the cylinder in battery while firing, i myself find this not acceptable, i have seen the sites on one actually fall off while firing, i find overall quality very poor, the metal is not pot metal, but not the quality of ruger ether, the finish is ruff, and if you carry one concealed it may need the rust removed by the end of the day

here is just one pic i just took of the one i recieved when my step father passed, i was with him when he purchased it new approx 20 years ago, it was carried a bit, but not shot much, when i got it, i cleaned it up as much as i could, the cylinder release button did fall off, but i used loc-tite on it, and it is fine, i shot 20 rounds through it, and it is now a gun i would only keep in a tackle box or my truck

the pick is of poor quality. but you can see the very bad machine work to install the front site, i think i could have done better blindfolded with a dremel tool

rossi.jpg
  • Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, I have a rossi .38 snubbie that I have put about 1000 rnds through. Fit and fisish is excellant, accurracy is more than acceptable and it has never rusted on me.

Is it a colt or ruger, no, is it a good firearm for the money, yes.

I also have a rossi lever gun (older model) in .357, also never a burp with it.

My own personal opnion is that its a good gun for what you pay. As for problems with them , I have heard just as many (and the same kind) reports of problems with most manufactures as I have for rossie.

Colt has had problems, (Mustang in .380 discharging whe hammer was lowered, safety not engaging, Ruger mini 30 magazine problems etc.).

The list goes on, no product is pefect and anyone can get a bad apple or any manufacturer can have problems.

I own 2 and wouldnt hesitate to own another.

JuJu(my .02, yours may vary depending on the exchange rate)
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of pump .22's (replica of the Win. 98 or 06)and they seem to function OK and fairly accurate. I took down for cleaning and as the others have said, lots of tool marks left, wire edge of metal still on parts, ect. An hour with a fine file and abrasive and a lot better. Also had a .22 mag pistol. I'd say the rifle was the better than the pistol mechanically, but still OK for the price. Don't expect to get your $ back out of a trade/sale. It seemed they varied on quality of workmanship, depending a lot on when they were made, the later seemed better, of what I saw.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also think it depends on your intended use of the gun. I bought a .45 colt Rossi carbine about 6 years ago. I punch paper and full coke cans with it. It's was cheap, and is accurate and fast handling. Would I use it for anything else? probably not.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ahd an issue with a brand new 92 carbine my parents bought me about 7 years ago. The axtractor was mis-cut and so oversized it would not snap down over the rim of a 357 round. 2 months without a gun (sent to Alexandria Va to Interarms repair shop) and it came back just fine. It is one of my favorite guns, and not just for the sentimental factor. It shoots very well and is a blast to play with. Add in the 5 lb super short factor, and it is possible and pleasuralbe to carry my S&W 586 AND the rossi when bunny bumping and the like. Generally I cannot complain about the Rossi's I've shot. Pretty good bang for the buck!
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rossi has been acquired by Taurus about 2 or 3 years ago and have the same lifetime warranty as all Taurus. They are good quality and work fine.
    Rossi guns that go way way back,
    15 years or more , were of poorer quality. If you avoid the oldies you wont have any problem.
  • Options
    MainiacMainiac Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, I own 3 Rossi guns: a Model 62 slide-action
    22, a 44 Mag. Model 92 carbine, and a Model 720 44 Special
    revolver. All were rather rough out of the box, but a little polish
    and use smoothed them up considerably.
    The 22 pump gun jammed a lot at first, and required considerable
    stoning of the rough edges to get it to function reliably. Its bore is rather rough, and bullets fired from it have on average 175 fps less velocity than the same ammo fired from my Savage Model 1903
    pump. Its sights were lousy, and I've replaced the rear with a
    Marbles tang sight, and the front with a fiber optic one. While
    hardly a target gun, it's accurate enough for plinking cans and
    nailing the occasional squirrel. The bluing job on the receiver is
    rather streaky, and the unevenly stained "Brazilian Hardwood"
    stock is so soft finger nails leave creases in it. Like the Winchester 1890 it's a clone of, it's all steel, and the parts are robust enough. And how else can you get a Winchester 1890 that you can shoot CCI Stingers out of for less than two hundred bucks?

The 44 Mag was equally rough, but it has never failed to function.
    The original rear sight was terrible; cheap stamped metal. I have
    replaced it with a Marbles carbine rear sight. Loading is also a
    chore, because the loading port is sharp enough to cut your fingers
    if you aren't careful. The narrow butt and low comb of the carbine
    type stock allows the gun to kick up into my cheek bone, giving it a
    greater felt recoil than my Marlin 1895 45-70. That said, the Rossi
    is accurate, dandy to tote around, and, for what it cost, a good little deer rifle.

My best Rossi is their 5-shot 3" 44 Special revolver. While it's no
    Smith finish-wise, a bit of polishing its innards, and a set of Wolff springs (it uses the same spring set as a J-frame Smith) made it just as smooth as any of my late production Smiths. It's just slightly smaller than a Smith K-frame, and a lot smaller than S&W's
    N-frame 44 Specials. At the same time, it's somewhat bigger than
    the Charter Arms Bulldogs, and considerably heavier. That means
    it carries easily in a IWB holster like a Bulldog, but is reasonably
    comfortable to shoot with full power loads. As you can guess, I
    like it a lot, and carry it often.

That's my opinion on pre-Taurus Rossis.

Xzec.