In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Imbel L1A1 any good?

sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Have a chance to buy an L1A1 with a Imbel receiver, are theese quality or junk like Century R1A1's thanks for input.

Comments

• Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Century R1A1 at a pawn shop 2 months ago because the price was right and I wanted to see if it was any good. I have been plesantly surprised. All it does is shoot every time I pull the trigger and put my surplus 7.62 ammo in the black. It has a scope and that surely helps, but I couldn't be happier with its performance. The only negative I have is that it came without a rear sling swivel. Just my 2 cents. I know some others have had different results, but not all R1A1's are junk.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    How much? Imbel recievers alone are often bid to over $300..,. and check the US parts count.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    And second on the R1A1s... at least, the newer ones. Old ones had occasional problems, mostly with the feed ramp (you want hte widow peak), and were a mix of metric and inch stuff. My R1A1 appears to be very well put together with no "angry beaver syndrome" apparent, and is all metric. Finish is very nice too.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day before the state of insanity (Ca) banned all such rifles myself and several friends all had Fal & L1A1s built. I had my L1A1 built on an enterprize arms reciever that was correct for it, and never had any problems with it what so ever. When the STG58 kits hit the country my buddies were ready to build and we did the research and found that the Imbel fals are/were the service rifle of, if I remember right, Brazil. So they ended up using the Imbel receivers to build their STG58 kits, and they never had any problems either. Using a L1A1 kit together on an Imbel receiver should be a good tough rifle, and even if it should have been built by a hack you shouldn't have any problems finding good help in making it right. If the price is right, go for it, just make sure that you have it looked over by a good gunsmith and have the headspace checked before taking it to the range.