In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can a non resident?

cashpawncashpawn Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Purchase a long gun in the state of Texas?

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Non resident of what??
  • Options
    cashpawncashpawn Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any person that does not live in Texas, Can they legally buy a rifle/shotgun in Texas from a licensed dealer! Try and keep up please!
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you pass the test??
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the BATF FAQ page.
    Does this answer your question?
    quote:B. UNLICENSED PERSONS

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll answer this in two parts from experience only. I live in Texas and when I was last in Wal-Mart I saw a sign showing that you can purchase a firearm in Texas if you live in just about any state with a few exceptions. (For those who disagree with this, please visit your local Wal-Mart, for those in Texas this will be within five miles from anywhere you live).

The second part; at gun shows in Texas I know they will not sell you a firearm unless you are a Texas resident. I don't know why this is.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cashpawn, your question was not clear and when someone asked for clarification you repeated your question and added a rude comment. I suggest that if you want answers on this board you loose the attitude and clearify your questions. A non-resident would include illegal aliens, and many others that could not legally purchase a firearm.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    And because they have to follow the regulations from your home state, do not be surprized if you are from California or another commie state that they refuse to sell to you. I ran into this when I lived in California alot. And if the place does refuse to sell to you don't get mad. Remember a buiesness has the right to refuse service to anyone.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--And if you're from California-you would have no reason to be in Texas, unless you were kidnapped or wanted to visit our illustrious president!![:p][:p]--JIMBO
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cashpawn,

I will second what mooseyard said.

Mooseyard,

You brought up a good point. What if the individual wishing to purchase is a LEGAL alien of residence in another state? I can't get the BATF site to come up or I would attempt to look it up there. a case in point would be say for instance a South Dakota(more permissive laws than most states) resident joins the military and goes to Germany, meets and marries a German national. They move back to South Dakota. The Spouse is still technically a legal alien in residency in South Dakota. They visit relatives in Texas and there is this deer rifle or shotgun the spouse just has to have. What do you think?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior, a resident alien who has resided in any state for > 90 days, & is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, may purchase a firearm within that state. He would have to prove his resident alien status, as well as his state residency.

There is no other way for a resident alien to obtain a firearm.

Neal