In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 1885

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'm in the market for an 1885 Single shot, but know very little about them. I already have a Ruger #1 and want something different. Does anyone have one & can give opinion about good & bad?

Good trigger, accuracy? I'm looking at a small to medium bore - 6.5 Swede or 7X57 would be ideal, if available - and will scope it.

I see prices in the $750.00 to $1,100.00 range - is about $900.00 average for a new one?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have hi grade winchester 1885 un fired Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation presentation 39 of 350 in 30-06.I would like to know its value.I also have a Remington Hepburn, sporterised in a 218 Mashburn Bee with beatiful almost full figured Black Walnut but stock and forearm.I would like tohave an idea of its value
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a pretty good collection of Winchesters but one that I do not have and know the very least about is the single shot 1885. Can somebody tell me which one would be the most desirable? I mean without going into a really highly engraved gun or something. I did just recently see one but it had been blued and changed to a 22 mag. I would think that would take it out of being a collector gun wouldn't it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does any body make a tang sight for the newer Winchester 1885 (cal 17HMR) that will mount to the tang without a gunsmith service? Thank for any info!!!
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1885 in 7WSM - really nice rifle & very accurate. I like it better than the Ruger #1 and it certainly is more accurate than the ones I own.
    Marbles makes a tang site for about $125.00, saw another brand in Brownells for about $425.00. That's not a typo - it really is $425.00.