In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt compatability

cannibuscannibus Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
living in a ban state, im limited to what i can buy as far as AR based rifles goes...i already have a preban bushy carbine and wanted a fullsize AR...founda preban colt sporter but i have a question...i heard that colts arent very compatible with other guns...for example...if i keep the colt lower and want a RRA upper, i heard that they wont fit together...is this truth or rumor?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends...

The only problem area is the pivot pin hole diameter. However, adaptors to combine either size upper with either size lower are readily available, & not expensive.

Of course, that begs the question of why someone would buy a complete rifle with the intention of buying a different upper. If you want a full size AR, I recommend that you buy exactly what you want, rather than spend a lot of money assembling a Mixed Parts Mongrel.

Neal
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect a work around Massachusetts law is the cause. I'm in CA and can not purchase an AR. But if I have a legal (registered) AR lower, say with a short bbl, I could mount a 24" heavy bbl upper on it and create a different purpose rifle.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fire control pins are also larger in a Colt for the last 12 years. Not a problem unless you have trouble, which is usually a disconnector.

CP