In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun Scope on Rifle

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Marlin 1895 Camp Gun in 45/70. I have a number of heavy recoiling rifles & get the occasional "scope bounce" off my forehead. I bought a Nikon 2X to 7X shotgun scope due primarily to it having about a 5" eye relief. Any reason to not mount a shotgun scope on a heavy recoiling rifle that's going to be used 100 yds or less?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good plan.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no, go for it, I have a leuplod VX-II on mine if you get sloppy, bloody cresent for u
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    No problems at all, have right at it.....
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a 2 1/2 power shotgun scope on my 1895.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I handload my 444 with
    42 gr imr 4198 under a 265gr
    hornady interlock jacketed
    flat point and it kicks like
    the dickens. I have a millet
    1.5x - 4x compact scope on it.
    $105 and it has held up well.
    Wish I could say the same for my
    shoulder. I figure if a shotgun
    scope can hold up under the recoil
    of a 12 pump, it's gotta be strong.
    And it's real easy to carry.Plenty
    of eye relief too.
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most shotgun scopes are parallax adjusted for around 50 yards. Most rifle scopes are adjusted for more like 150 yards. Having said that, I have a Leupold VX-II 2-7x shotgun scope on a Ruger Deerfield Carbine in .44 mag. It works great on the Deerfield!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too would be concerned about the parallax problem, but a little testing at the range should determine if it is a problem or not.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOVE those 1895's!! I solved this issue in a very different way. I also handload for my 45/70 using 39 gr. of IMR 4198, a Mag primer under a hard cast, gas checked 455 gr. RN. VERY heavy recoil and a scope was OUT OF THE QUESTION as I assumed I would have lost an eye socket in pretty short order. The recoil itself doesn't bother me much, but at 210 lbs, a 458 Lott doesn't affect me that much either!

You mentioned your desire to use this gun inside of 100 yds...I simply installed a Hi-Viz Williams peep reciever sight (I have 3 sized apperatures for it for various conditions)and could not be happier. At 50 yds (off the bench), and using a little less intense loading (around 31 grains ), I can make clover leafs. At 100 yds the accuracy drops off considerably to a mere "1 group. I don't know how one could argue those kind of results! My thought is that with the ranges we are speaking of here, a good peep sighted rifle damn near shoots itself! For me, anyway, the peep sights align so natually that snap shots are quick and easy. Actually, shooting offhand, I get much worse results taking my time and really trying to aim precisely than I do with a relatively quick sight alignment. There are several deer and bear here in the upper midwest that cannot comment on the efficacy of this system, as they all went down on the spot (all shots have been at or under 100 yds)and none looked like they cared if there was a scope on the gun that got them!

This may not work well for you with your vision, but it certainly does for me and I am fairly blind without the 'ol specks. Good luck...I hope this alternative interests you, and have fun with that Guide Gun!
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a big fan of iron sights - my favorite rifle is a Remington 40X in 308 Win with Redfield Olympic peep rear & globe front. Outstanding accuracy which I attribute to the rifle & my still 20/12 vision rather than shooting skills. Have a similar set up for my old Winchester 75. I don't think my 1895 is d & t for peep mounts.

Another alternative is a forward mount scope. I believe the same company that sells ghost rings also has a forward mount Weaver base that attaches to the rear sight dovetail & front two scope base screws. It seems like a nice setup, but with only an 18.5" bbl a little front heavy. I have a forward mount scope on a folding stock Mini 14 (don't tell Ahnald!) & it's very quick to shoot.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mines the older ported type with Ballard cut rifling etc... I think the left top rear of the 95's have 2 small tapped and filled holes that the Williams or Marbles will drop into. I know they had several engineering changes the first few years, but I would think that one should stay constant.

The Redfield Olympics really are neat and I wish I had something worth putting them on! Or just had the sights in a box for that matter. Sounds like a neat rig you have there! My eyes are 20/20 corrected, but I'll bet those could make even ME look good at the range.