In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Grit in my new ak 47

KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
is it ok to spray some wd 40 in their to wash out that metal grit from when they grinded it down to accept hi cap mags ??? in the mag well and bolt inside the gun ???

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a AK 47, you could use a garden hose and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks also when should I clean it its never ben shot. and leaving the small tiny peices of grit wont hurt it will it ???????
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flush the grit out with a paint brush and kerosine. Grit never did guns or machinery any good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dam i dono i think i am just over worried. I think my rifles ok am just worried cuz its my first. Its never been fired and i think its safe. the grit i speak of is like the smallest ammount of dust thanks guys also i dono how to take apart my gun and am a little scared to cuz i have 0 weapons experience
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should always clean a new gun, even an AK -- especially if you think it has grit in it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i dono how to and i have to pick up cleaning kit tuesday the owner had to wait to give me a accessories pack includes bayonet cleaning kit and oil and a strap and all he just gave me rifle today cuz i wanted it bad he was outta town and had his partner give me rifle and he didnt have acess to the supply room so i will have to wait till next tuesday is this ok ?? he is a good guy and a highly recomended ffl dealer
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    An AK is the easiest(well, almost)rifle to field strip. First, remove the magazine, and make sure the chamber is empty. Then push in that little button on the back of the top dust cover. The dust cover will come off. Then push that piece again, but this time far enough for it to come out of the holder that it sits in. Then you can remove the recoil spring assembly. Now pull the carrier (the piece that has the handle on it that you pulled back to make sure the chamber was empty) all the way to the rear, and it will lift up and out of the receiver. Now you can remove the bolt from the carrier. Raise the little lever on the front trunnion. Now you can remove the gas tube and handguard. Reassemble in reverse order after cleaning all that mess out.
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the manual for your rifle in .PDF format (you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to view it).
    http://www.ak-47.us/pic/books/WASR_AK-47_Manual.pdf

And if you can't wait till Tuesday, you can pick up an inexpensive cleaning kit from Wal-Mart for under $20. It will probably be made made by Outers, with an aluminum rod, some patches, jags, oil, and solevant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guys i have a serious qustion ok if the bolt its pulled back all the way and its cocked how do i uncock it ???? would one dry fire break it ???? please tell me how to uncock it without dry firing please!!!
  • Options
    PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull the slide back to where you first get resistance (around 1.75" to 2" back) and pull the trigger then ease the slide forward.

Or...

Just dry fire it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wont dryfire be realy bad for firing pin i dryfired it once and i dont wanan do it agin im new gun owner and i feel so stupid after this im putting my gun up and not touching it till i do research i am sorry to hassle you man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dam you were right man i just did it i can see hammer now thanks man u are awsome i am gonna go to my ffl and offer him 40 to teach me how to take it apart clean it and all other things think thats smart ???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Point the AK at the ground and dry fire it. The firing pin will slide firward and there will be no contact between the hammer and pin.

Make sure its unloaded.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KrinkovMan
    dam you were right man i just did it i can see hammer now thanks man u are awsome i am gonna go to my ffl and offer him 40 to teach me how to take it apart clean it and all other things think thats smart ???

no need to pay someone to teach you.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/akFieldStripping/

Chances are yours doesnt have a cleaning kit, so disregard the last step in that guide.

When I want to clean mine, I just field strip it and spray everything (EVERYTHING, except the wood) with carb cleaner or starting fluid and then spray WD40 on the hammer whilst its cocked and LIGHTLY spray the bolt and carrier (see step 5 on that website) and return spring. I dunno, it seems to work for me.