In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help!! What gun does this go to.

damjrdamjr Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
While rummaging through my stuff I found ths Rear Elevated Sight from some military rifle but have NO IDEA what it might go to. Can anyone take a guess as to what rifle this might go to?
Rearsight_3.jpg
Rearsight_2.jpg
Rearsight_1.jpg
Rearelevationsight_5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scale?
    with that height, calibration, maybe some old military rifle?
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the actual markings would be needed to determine, from the view you provided it could be several dozen different guns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately the only markings on this is what looks to be an upsidedown & reversed check mark and a S/N 858. It also has what looks like a threaded hole on the top and bottom for either a screw or set-screw. There are no other marks or names or abbreviations on this. The elevation scale goes from 4 - 24 and when you move the scale to the top and fold the elevated sight down it become the rear sight for the open iron sights.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to guess 1891 Mauser of some type. The key identifier, I think, is the single spring loaded slide realease. Many Chilean and Argentine '91's (early production) had a single release instead of double as many other contracts had. I am a little confused by the shape of the release button thouigh, as it seems to be shaped more like a rhomboid shape as opposed to the rectangle I'm used to seeing. I would have to guess SOME kind of pre '98 Mauser, although I am far less than sure! That mark you speak of...is it by any chance two hands in the act of a handshake? Long stretch, but that would mean Argentine lineage at some point.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Your sight came off of a Japanese Type 38 Arisaka.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Your sight came off of a Japanese Type 38 Arisaka. quote:

+1
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected...Matches the one in my cabinet ( wood is currently off ).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the help. I still have no idea how I happened to end up with this. Thanks again for all the help.