In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mauser 98 ID

bribri Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I recently got my grandfather's WWII German Mauser that he brought back with him, and as the story goes, "took it from the Nazi who tried to kill him." He may have found it on the ground for all I know, but the story sounds more interresting.. ANYWAY, I have deducted from its markings thus far that it was Sauer made in 1941, it has 3 #37 Heerswaffenamt stamps on the side, all 4 digit serial numbers match on every part including the stock, and also marked with eagle and swaz all over it. The marking that I cannot figure is a script 'g' below the serial number on the bolt handle and also below the s/n on the side of the gun. Is this just part of the s/n? There are more markings going under the barrel, but I have not yet taken the gun apart to see what is on the barrel under the wood. ANY HELP???? ANYONE???[?]

Comments

• Options
    bribri Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi all,

I hope I've got the right forum - but I have a question regarding a Mauser 98 Sporter I've purchased.
    I'm trying to find out what year the thing was made - and most importantly, if it is strong enough to rebarrell to a 338-06.
    It is CURRENTLY in a 30-06...

Here is the info:
    Like I said, it was sporterized many years ago by this company:
    GOLDEN STATE ARMS CORP. PASADENA, CALIF
    and is their model:
    SANTA FE DELUXE MAUSER MK 1 MODEL 12014
    81c0716071f6f320b5c9f35fbd9e5daa.jpg
    b879bcee34373924b6e354381554d1df.jpg
    d2f4a7c3f39e42f67d29a84ec8ebf85d.jpg

Now, I know that doesn't mean much about what type of Mauser action is in this thing, but this is what's on the left side of the action:

B4893B. The second B is encircled.
    And following that is DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN.BERLIN
    413a043886982b51abc6c8245aa3b6d5.jpg

I don't know what this thing is. I know there is probably more info under the Weaver scope mount that's obscured - but I have a feeling there is no crest under there, I've seen those before and I think they'd be sticking out.

What do you think? Is this a Mauser 98 action that's strong enough to rebarrell to something else? Is this *probably* a good action?

I just bought this - at what I considered a good deal. All I'd like to do is refinish the stock and rebarrell it, and it will be my MT bigger game hunting gun...

Here's a few more pics, if they help at all...

bolt.jpg
    boltface.jpg
    action.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "g" is part of the serial number. The krauts numbered most of their rifles in series of 1 to 9999. Every time they reached 9999, they went back to 1 using a different letter.