In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this a Black Powder Round ? - See Picture

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Do you know if this is charged with black powder ?
I know the early cartriges were.
It is a 32 Special.
I have never seen one with the primer stamped.
32spl1.jpg
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The .32 Winchester Special was introduced in 1902 for the Model 1894 and was loaded originally as a smokeless round. Therefore, I doubt that the round you have is blackpowder.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    THAT would have been an interesting job ... primer stamper![:D]
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a P.S.

The .30-30 was also introduced for the Winchester 1894 in 1895 and was also originally designed as a smokeless load of 30 grains, hence its name .30-30.

Union Metallic Company (UMC) was in business from 1867 until 1911 when it combined with Remington to form Remingtion-Union Metallic Corporation or REM-UMC. That means that your cartridge was probably made sometime between 1902 and 1911. The "U" on the primer has never made any sense as far as classifying these cartridges. I used to think they related to a time period but I am not so sure anymore.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is smokeless and the primer is corrosive.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read the "H" stamped on Winchester 22 rimfire ammo stood for "Henry" as in Henry Repeating Rifle - maybe there's a similar story regarding the "U"?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The U (Union Metalic) is stamped when the primer cup is made.
    Primers sold to reloaders were normaly not stamped (indicates it is a factory loading).
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nyforester: This is an early loading - UMC was bought out by Remington before WWI. The underlined "U" is common in the early part of the 20th Century. One of the reasons for it was to distinguish smokeless loads from BP. Short answer is as v35 stated. That said, I don't recall ever seeing one with the two dashes in the headstamp. That could be a pretty scarce loading? I'm going to pass this along to a UMC expert. As a side note, the composite "Remington - UMC" company continued to use the "U" on primers for several years after the merger. Winchester used an impressed "W" - by itself, inside a circle, and underlined; US Cartridge Company impressed "US" - by itself, underlined and in logo form; Savage impressed "S" and possibly some variations on that.

dfletcher - you are correct, but this impressed "H" was unique to rimfire cartridges.