In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

J.O. Arms .45...what can you tell me about it?

TinkerjeepTinkerjeep Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a used Colt commander style .45 acp pistol from a friend. The text on the left side of the slide reads "GAL" which is centered above a line of text reading "KSN INDUSTRIES, ISRAEL". The text on the right side of the slide reads "J.O. ARMS, HOU, TX.". I did a google search and the only thing I found was that J.O. Arms imported KSN Industries firearms up til 1997.

The frame appears to be stainless but is highly magnetic, possibly it is carbon steel but has been hand-stripped and then chromed?. The trigger gaurd is squared off and the finish of the frame appears hand "polished" but it is still slightly rough in alot of places.
The serial number is etched in the normal Colt serial number location but is six digits, all numeric. All text and markings are like they have been hand engraved using a mechanical engraving pen...like a tatoo needle, not punched or stamped.

The slide is blued steel with an checked rib from front to rear sight, which are both dovetailed into the slide. There are grip cuts in the standard rear position and at th front too. The hammer is of the rounded spur type, blued and hollowed. The frame grip safety has the spoon type beaver tail handweb gaurd and is also blued, as is the mainspring housing. The trigger is blued, ribbed and has three holes drilled in it. As I said this is the shorter barrel/slide pistol with the 4 or 4.25" barrel.

I got it from a friend who owed me some money. He bought it in a pawn shop over two years ago so there is no documentation.

It seems to be a well made pistol, I know it functions. Though there are signs of obvious wear.

As I said it is chambered for the .45 acp round.

Can you tell me anything about these guns - their history, quality and actual worth?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your best bet would be to get hold of a recent Blue Book. They usually have a abbreviated company history for these outfits that go in and out of business in a couple of years.

First I would do a Google search though, it might save you the hassel of tracking down a B B.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know what I know, 1911 based Izzy pistol. Supposed to be pretty good. value I would think, would be as a shooter $400-$500 tops.
  • Options
    TinkerjeepTinkerjeep Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah. I already Googled it. I found Blue Book's site and they just mentioned that J.O. Arms imported KSN Industries' stuff until 1997. There was nothing technical listed about the gun(s) specifically.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "The frame appears to be stainless but is highly magnetic"... most 'gun' grade stainless is magnetic. nonmagnetic stailess is to soft for this application.