In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson's . Champion markings. DOM

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Iver Johnson "CHAMPION" on the top line it reads iver johnson's arms & cycle works The second line reads fitchburg mass. u.s.a. It has a 28 inch barrel with a bore diameter at the muzzle of .690 I take this to be full choke the action has 50%+ case color. The barrel blue and stock Finish is is 95%+. Now my question the owl head butt plate has straight slot screws but the forearm metal is screwed to the wood with PHILIPS screws Is this correct? also the lower tang, the barrel, the forarm wood, and the forearm metal all have the letters C R H C stamped in them that looks factory is there any meaning to these letters as far as dateing this shot gun ? and is there any collector interest in these shotguns ? If so could you give me value range in above condition.Thanks Karl

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no expert: however I have 2 Iver Johnson single 12 ga similar to the one you have described. Both of mine have slotted screws. Your gun either has replacement screws or a newer forearm.
    I believe these guns are worth between $75 - $150 depending on condition.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "PHILIPS screws Is this correct?"... nope, replacement screws. the crhc is the ser. #, for a time they used letters instead of numbers (I have a .410 with rffr).
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    perry,
    the use of all letters for serial number was used by iver johnson during the mid to late 1930s. so far in my research on iver johnson single barrel shotguns i have not found any pattern to the letters. the chambering of your 410 is useful in that the 1932 catalog list the 410 in 2 1/2 inch chambering and the 1938 catalog list the chambering as 3 inch. what is the chambering of your gun? to the best of my knowledge all champion 410 were full choked. the fore-end screws are replacement. the forearm wood should have the same letters marked on it as on the lower tang, if not it is a replacement.
    bill