In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester mod 70 pre-war

hans1471hans1471 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
My Father in law recently gave my son a Winchester mod 70 in 270win. This is a pre-war rifle,(serial 39xx)has no holes for scope mounts in rear reciever but does have, I believe a griffen/howe side mount w/ 4 power scope. Its in good shape,rifling,checkering and blueing great for its age.I have fired it and is more acurate then my late model Rem. However, the stock has been shortened by an inch or so. Need an honest opinion if I should leave this rifle alone or try to modernize, i.e replace stock, drill receiver for scope mounts. Any idea what this mod 70 may be worth as is. Not a practical hunter like it is.try to send some pics later. Thanks, newguy

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    CLASSIC RIFLE, CLASSIC SCOPE & MOUNT, GIFT FROM GRANDFATHER= PRICELESS. ALMOST ANYTHING YOU DO TO IT WILL REDUCE IT'S VALUE. MAYBE BUY A NEW STOCK TO MAKE IT MORE USABLE AND/OR UPGRADE THE GLASS.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello hans: Welcome to the forum. It's best to try to keep an old Winchester original. You don't mention the butt plate, but one of the options for the Md 70 was the Solid red rubber recoil pad. There are used ones on the parts market and new reproduction ones. That would just about give yours the inch back.

Also there are plenty of used Md 70 stocks on the market, a little tricky to find a good pre-war one. They have finer checkering than the post war stocks. If you go this route don't sell or throw away the current stock, a new owner will pay to have the original stock too!

As far as the scope, I would not "drill and tap" this will reduce the value more, as Mike said just upgrade the scope using the current mount.

Regards Dave