In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 190 Shooting high.

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I've got a Winchester 190 that is shooting high.
About 1 1/2" high at a fifty foot distance, but the pattern is consistent.
I've got the rear sight as low as it will go and the front sight is fixed.
I've considered filing the rear sight notch down a a bit in order to raise my line of sight, but I thought I'd ask some questions here first.
I bought this gun used so I don't know it's history, but I can see that it has a small dent in the top of the barrel.
Looking for any thoughts or suggestions on how to bring my shots down.
I've got this gun for backyard fun, for when friends come over and want to shoot, I don't have to let them shoot one of my better, more cherished, 22s.
Thanks in advance,
DSM

Comments

• Options
    agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two 190's, and I haven't encountered your problem. Change your sight picture by dropping the front sight below the top of the notch. And just out of curiosity, do your friends find the same problem?
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    filing the notch will not help. you line it up w/ the top.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try different ammo.buy a box of several different brands and speeds and see which your gun prefers.hope this helps don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I bent the ear of my gunsmith and he felt, at first, that I should put a higher front sight on the barrel. That turned out to not be an option.
    Next he felt that the rear sight should be lowered, which also turned out to not be an option as well.
    When I set the rear sight at it's highest setting, the rounds hit 5-6"s above the bulls eye.
    When I bring it down to it's lowest setting it is shooting about 1 1/2" to high.
    My mind may be feeble, but I cannot see how cutting the groove on the rear sight deeper would not help.
    I'm not trying to set any competition records with this gun, it's just for shooting.
    I've run two different type of rounds through it with the same result.
    I'm still wondering about the dent in the top of the barrel. It may have taken a fall and the barrel was pushed upwards a bit.
    Considering another barrel.
    Thanks all,
    DSM
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I think what tsavo303 is trying to tell you is the way most people shoot iron sights is to put the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight. The notch is just there to be able to see the front sight . Some people shoot what is called a "FINE SIGHT" this may be what you are thinking about where the shooter just brings the front sight even with the bottom of the notch . I suspect you have a bent barrel .if you had a bolt action you could look down the bore to see if it was bent but with a semi auto that is not an option.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry,
    I got you. Feeble mind has difficulty with the sighting process. Disleksia kicking in I guess.
    I'll try what you are saying and see if it helps.
    DSM