In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Safe bore solvent for nickel finish?

AimhighAimhigh Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
1)Can anyone recommend a safe bore solvent for a nickel finish revolver?

2)BREAK-FREE BORE CLEANER SOLVENT(In a glass jar-Not regular CLP!): Has anyone ever tried this bore solvent? It supposedly doesn't work by having anything alkaline in it or otherwise like ammonia in it-and BREAK-FREE claims on their glass bottle label, that because of this, their formula, does not directly attack metal(Like copper underneath a nickel finish)but instead, depends only on a powerful solvent action to do the bore cleaning! I'm wondering if because of this claim, if this BREAK-FREE BORE CLEANER would be safe to use on nickel finishes?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoppe's No 9, Shooter's Choice, & USGI Rifle Bore Cleaner all should work well, & none contain ammonia. As long as you don't have copper fouling, all will be fine. Based on the description, it sounds like the Break-Free is in the same class of mechanic cleaners, but you can test it by letting a few drops sit on a penny for a week to see if it turns green.

You are right to be concerned about using an ammonia product in a plated (or stainless steel) gun.

Neal
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Now wait a secont! I've used Barnes and Sweets for years on my stainless guns, and I've never seen any damage; do you all know something you're not sharing?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,639 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used BREAK-FREE products on my Nickel Python for many years.
    No problems thus far.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,639 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used BREAK-FREE products on my Nickel Python for many years.
    No problems thus far.
  • Options
    Sandidge47Sandidge47 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stainless steel should be immune to ammonia since you can see there is little if any copper content. I am an engineer, and not a metalurgist by trade, but my experience with metal selection in hydraulic motor design. If there was a problem, it would surely be stated on the label of the solvent - lawyers are involved in everything we do now a days. - 2006-July-28

However, chrome plated barrels in military rifles may have copper plating underneath as the first plated layer on the steel barrel:

More likely nickle to chrome (top coat)