In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30.06 cartridge

jc40jc40 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I think. between 1950 and 1970, there was a nice article in the Americian Rifleman regarding the variety of loads available for the 30.06 ranging from small to large loads. Should any of you scholars have reference to the article, I surely would like to get a copy.
Also during that time there was an article about someone shooting , I believe, 30.06 in Japanese Arisaka 6.5 mm rifle and there was a picture of the elongated bullet. I could never understand how this happened and would like to read this article again. It seems it was on left page. Any help will be appreciated. Heard, during the war, that the Japs could shoot our 30.06 ammo in their 7.7 mm Arisaka. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The myth of the enemy in WWII being able to use our ammo in their weapons has existed since before I was born. It was never true.

During Korea, There were conversions of Japanese Type 99's to 30-06 for the South Koreans and they were plainly marked.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 6.5x50 in question was chambered, by hand by the owner, useing a reamer that he ground the pilot so it would fit the bore. Complained that the rifles recoil was quite severe.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jc40
    Heard, during the war, that the Japs could shoot our 30.06 ammo in their 7.7 mm Arisaka. Thanks for your help.

It would be kinda hard to force a 7.62x63 (30-06) into a 7.7x58 (7.7Jap) chamber. The shoulder is about 1/8" further forward in the -06 case (not to mention that the neck of the brass would be well into the throat of the 7.7 chamber).

PO Ackley may have mentioned the 6.5 Jap to 30-06 DIY conversion in his book also.