In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gibbs bolt action 45-70

canemakerkycanemakerky Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hello forum,

I have several questions about the Gibbs 45-70 that I need help in answering.

Specifically, how strong is the action, how accurate, (any testing done), and could you mount a EER (pistol) scope.

Thank you in advance,

Jim Evans
"But by the grace of God go we"

Comments

• Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Gibbs Summit Frontier 45-70. Excellent, strong action. Superb accuracy. I use 50 gr. IMR3031 with 300 gr. Remington JHP. Here is a target from 100 yards. I'd say this action will handle anything a Marlin lever gun will. Stay under 50,000 c.u.p. and you should be fine. I have lowered the scope on mine and added a leather cheek piece since this picture was taken.

3d8b742c.jpg
    Gibbs1.jpg
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice- I knew i needed one of those!
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one made on an Australian No. 1 Mk III action. It shoots great with iron sights. I can keep all my shots on a paper plate at 100 yards. Usually groups are around 4 inches. You can buy no-gunsmithing scope bases from places on the internet if you want to add a scope or look for them in Shotgun News or gun shows. I'm satisfied with the iron sights even if my eyes are well over 50 years old. I shoot Remington 405 grain jacketed soft point factory ammo in my gun. Any factory load should be safe but I'd be careful with handloads. I really like shooting the Gibbs. It's great fun.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are some of the few really decent sporting guns made from a mil surp action out there. Having said that, the action is somewhat limited. The good 'ol Enfields will handle a decent amount of pressure but the bolt being as springy as it is, the aforementioned limitations approaching '95 Marlin pressures would be advice well taken. I would assume that you have seen the various load book referrences as to 1873, 1886, 1895 and then bolt action only strength indexes. The Gibbs/Enfield would fall fall a LITTLE stronger than the '86 and '95 (which are quite close in strength anyway)pressure limits. The bolt actions referred to are predominantly Siamese Mauser actions and others that will handle MUCH more pressure than any of the other action types. With the Siamese, you can supposedly push 70,000 CUP...that's pretty hairy stuff and the charge weights look like something out of an artillerists manual. Be somewhat gentle to that gun and it will serve well. Push the limits of the springy, multi piece bolt and you could get bit. Having said that, I have never seen an enfield 45/70 fail...pretty strong action but just not a Mauser or Arisaka, or Springfield for that matter.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has always been an interesting set up for me. The Enfields have a reputation for stretching brass & a short case life in 303, is that the case for the 45/70 version?
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Due to the aforementioned "springiness", the brass WILL stretch more than in a more secure action, but since the 45/70 is not necked, the case life will not be markedly shorter than in the siamese conversion. You will granted see some flow from the brass, but not too much more than normal. Chamber dimensions will probably regulate stretch more than the bolt issue. There is also the fact that the Gibbs gun is about 1/3 the cost of a good Siamese conversion.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A word of advice on these non gunsmithing mounts for an Enfield. I had a gunshop order a set and I did not buy them after looking at it. The design looked weak for these non gunsmithing mounts. They may be fine, I was suspicious. Luckily, my brother is a machinist and he drilled and tapped the action and I mounted a picatinny rail with Millet Angle Loc rings. If you do not have a friend or relative who is a machinist, you could have a gunsmith do it fairly cheap or just use iron sights. Too bad Gibbs stopped making these, I know a lot of people who would have bought one after shooting mine. If you can find a Siamese conversion, get it. I'd like to have one myself.[8D]