In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 1894...rebuildable?

Duck DogersDuck Dogers Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I was given a 1894 that belonged to my late Uncle. (#377XX) Anyway, it was "improved" in the '50's with a Mod 64 30-30 barrel and a recoil pad. Mechanically every thing is in great shape. Finish is about 75% on the receiver.

I would like to rebuild it to an original set-up. Don't know how practical this is but, can someone suggest a likely configuration (I was thinking 38-55 rifle w/octigon barrel.) I need a source for a barrel and wood.

(Also posted over at Leverguns.com)

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I highly recommend that you contact the Cody Firearms Museum and purchase a factory letter for it... it will tell you what the exact original configuration was and eliminate any guess work.

http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records.cfm

Tell David (or Connie) that I sent you.

As for being practical tp rebuild it, it is not... at least from a monetary ($$$) or collector viewpoint.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    Followed your link to Cody Museum. Visited there back in 1998 or so and it is sure one great place!
    I've been meaning to ask about a '94 that I have and this prompted me to get off my duff and write.
    I've read some where that mine might be a relatively attractive model and if so I'd likely poney up the $55.00 for a factory letter. Rather not go that route, though, if what I have is garden variety. (If there is such a thing in older Winchesters.) Unfortunately I'm not set up for photo's but here are the specs:
    .32 Special, 20" barrel, saddle ring with full length tube.
    Serial Number 925164
    Barrel and mag. about 90%, Reciever maybe 20, but everything appears original. Wood is in good shape. Top of tang marked "Model 94"
    Interested in your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Bert,
    Followed your link to Cody Museum. Visited there back in 1998 or so and it is sure one great place!
    I've been meaning to ask about a '94 that I have and this prompted me to get off my duff and write.
    I've read some where that mine might be a relatively attractive model and if so I'd likely poney up the $55.00 for a factory letter. Rather not go that route, though, if what I have is garden variety. (If there is such a thing in older Winchesters.) Unfortunately I'm not set up for photo's but here are the specs:
    .32 Special, 20" barrel, saddle ring with full length tube.
    Serial Number 925164
    Barrel and mag. about 90%, Reciever maybe 20, but everything appears original. Wood is in good shape. Top of tang marked "Model 94"
    Interested in your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Hello Rob,

You have a plain "garden" variety Carbine. Unfortunately, the CFM only has the records for the first 353,999 Model 1894s made, so it is not possible to get a letter for your early 1920s vintage SRC. Based on the 20% bluing on the receiver/frame, and the caliber, it is about a $750 gun.
  • Options
    adamj812adamj812 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rob,

I just sold one just like yours with serial number 908xxx for $1295 in similiar condition by your description. There are a lot of crazy collectors out there since Winchester closed.
    -Adam

win9432.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Adam,

No offense intended, but anyone who would pay that much is NOT a true collector[:0]. Instead, that person is a total Novice, and is clueless about the real world value of that particular Model 94.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I'll hold onto my $55.00 and be happy knowing it's at least worth more than what I paid for it. (About $300. in trading stock.)
    A nice little rifle for the deer wood here-a-bouts when I don't feel like toting around my .270 or .308