In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

win m-12 takedown problem

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
my 20ga gun is acting up. after shooting 250 rounds thru it last week, i broke it down to clean it.
when i broke the assy in 2 by removing the bbl assy, the bolt is suppose to come forward into battery and stay there until the bbl is reinstalled. instead, it droops in back and wont stay in lock up. whats the culprit?
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi bob: It's the "slide rail lock-up" on the bolt. Remove the bolt and give it a good cleaning. Look at the two little tabs on the lock-up and check for wear.

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will do. is there a spec on the tabs wear that i need? or will it be visible?
    a footnote, remember my wood dilema? the slide rail on this gun came from the browning m12. all i did was swap wood and rail as one unit. could it be a machining tolerence off btwn old win and the browning assy?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bob: the slide is independant of the slide rail lock up. The two tabs should both be the same in size, if one is drastically worn it will be visible. Actually Winchester refers to this as the Breech Bolt Retaining lever Pt #7412. ( only one was used on all 4 gauges). This is about a $20. part from gunparts. I have plenty of these and the pins if yours needs replacing, (about half the cost!)

Note: the lever should be able to pivot back and forth freely.

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on to the laboratory!
    btw, that ole 61 skeet gun was smooth as silk. went straight a few games too.
    only problem with it is using federal factory skeet loads it got brutal on the shoulder about the 10th game in one day. even with the red pad installed, the pain caused some classic flinch misses![:D] i think i hit the trap house once on station 4 i flinched so bad![:p]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just curious. does this mean that when the gun is fired, the bolt isnt locked in battery?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bob: Well by design, a Md 12 cant fire before battery, the hammer wont fall. However if you have a severely worn action release, the hammer might fall. Since there would be nothing tto hold the shell stationary, (free to move even farther into the chamber) and with the bolt still on an upward travel, the face of the bolt would not be parallel to the face of the shell, I don't see how the firing pin can hit the primer hard enough to detonate. I wont say never. Somebody just might go try to prove me wrong! LOL

With the gun empty!! Start your forward motion slowly, with your finger holding the trigger down, you will see the bolt lock into place (or be as far forward as it can be before the hammer falls.

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just checked what you said. its good.
    the old nu-line m12 maintanance video is starting to come back to me. the bolt kicks up in back just before the hammer falls. mine is tight as a virgin.

btw, my new wood for the 28ga pigeon is enroute! i'll let you know how that one goes together. i look forward to less kick in it for sure! thanks a bunch![:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.