In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please advice on barrel break in ...

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
... Taurus tracker in 44 rem mag with a 4" barrel. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    clean it before you shoot it. No special break in required!
    Debatable on match rifles. not needed on a revolver
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Awesome! Thanks.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like fun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sure my boys and I will have a blast. Thanks again.
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Breaking in a firearm barrel is not debatable but a must even though a handgun is not as likely to foul like a rifle will partially because of slower velocity. Being a revolver clean barrel thoroughly at least everytime you reload ( six shots I assume ) for about the first twenty shots. New barrels have machine marks that the jackets from the bullets embed in until they smooth out not addressing this problem leads to piss poor accuracy and when you finally clean it it is a nightmare to try to remove multiple layers of fouling just to have to start over as if you get all the fouling out some of the machine marks will still be there if it wasn't properly broke in. On rifles clean barrel thoroughly after each shot for the first three shots and after every third shot up to at least twenty rounds then inspect regularly.
  • Options
    edited November -1