In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rusty old Sav .22

Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine asked me to clean up his old .22 pump Savage. I think it's a model 59 or 52, about a 1959. Its pretty rusty from sitting in his fathers basement for years. After voicing my discust with his father for letting this happen I told him I would check to see if by chance its valuable or rare and should not be de-rusted with steel wool and oil. What do ya think, go ahead and clean it up?

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is to get to cleaning [:)]
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll start on it tonight then, I think I'll even try my hand at some cold blue. My friend will be happy to have it back all cleaned up I'm sure. As always, thank you gentlemen for the advice.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello keep all the steel parts wet with KROIL oil for 48 hours and then use the edge of a penney to scrub the rust you will wear the sharp edge of the penny so turn or replace as needed You will be surprised how much rust you will get off but not hurt the blueing under the rust a penny does not take blueing off like steel wool or leave steel wool HAIRS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The price is right, I can afford a scraper like that. I'll give the penny a try. Thanks perry.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I have also heard of people mashing flat the bullet end of a fired rifle case (30-06, 308 etc.) and grinding a contour to fit the curve of the barrel and using that to scrape the rust off. Supposedly does not take off the blueing, using a lot of oil of course.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you hold the penny with edge touching or lay it flat and swirl it?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put the penny on it's edge and use it like a scraper. The best way is to use a new penny and as the sharp edge wears just turn to a fresh edge. I've tried this and it works, but use plenty of oil and try it in an inconspicuous(sp?) place first.
    likemhot
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Properly used, 0000 steel wool or brass wool should not damage bluing. I prefer using it with WD 40, them wiping it clean with a rag. The penny (a copper one, not the new zinc ones) will work for removing heavy rust spots, as will a fired cartridge case.
    Bill
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Penny before 1982 are copper,after zinc..Best thing I have found is the bronze brushes found in most gunshops..Bluing is IN steel not ON steel..you can clean with ANY material softer than the steel you are cleaning without removing blue finish..Used many bent brass cases for jobs such as your's..If it scratches the steel,it will remove the blue also..modoc