In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 77 Trigger

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a new Ruger 77 Varmint (Grey with laminate stock) in 25-06. Already have the same in 223 & the trigger on that one is fantastic - bought it used, it's broken in nicely.

I need some info on how to adjust the trigger pull on the 25-06. It's not bad as is, but I like it lighter & crisper. There are 3 allen screws located in the front of the trigger housing. Bottom one (the one farthest away from the stock) controls sear engagement, not sure about the middle & top one. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    As I've said before, I'm mostly a Remington guy, SOOOOOO
    I just acquired a Ruger 77, heavy Bbl., in a 220 Swift, used. Looking at the trigger, it all looks just fine, but
    The tip of the trigger moves at least 1/4" before it comes up tight. (Similar to a two stage military trigger). It releases consistently at 1 3/4 Lbs. I would like to remove this first part of the trigger travel. All three of the adjustment screws on the trigger housing, are on the front (muzzle) side of the housing. The top one (nearest the bolt) is turned out to be flush with the housing, while the other two are screwed in about 1/8". Trigger is fairly crisp once you take out the travel. Can I remove this travel??? How??? THX HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any suggestions on how to improve this trigger? It is a stainless with the swing saftey.I have one about 5 years old that will do, but I bought a newer one and the trigger must be 8 or 10 pounds from the factory.If I have to I will put a Timney on it,but I would like to work with what I have if possible. Thanks
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher,

Here are two articles with step-by-step instructions:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/

As always, when adjusting any trigger, use extreme care. Do not remove material or change angles unless you are experienced and understand the geometric relationship of the parts. This is not an area to play in unless you understand what you're doing.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much - good article, easy to understand.