In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cowboy action shooting "Fast Draw"

gunsdensgunsdens Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I presently shoot .357 wax but am told I need to go to 45 for blanks for the wider pattern for baloons. My personal USE handguns are .40 S&W semi autos. My question is: I understand the need for the large pattern for baloon shooting with blanks like the 45 gives but I found a .40 S&W in Ruger Vaquero. How much difference would the 45 be over the .40 S&W as far as blank pattern expansion. Also, because of the rarity of the .40 S&W in sas revolvers, would the .40 S&W be considered traditional. The gauge test simply states that the diameter of the barrel be no larger than .45 calibre. If anyone could break down the following: .357 vs .40S&W vs .45 in so far as firing 1F black powder blanks for baloon shooting.

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been to events that require 45 cal guns because they supply the ammunition to make sure it is blanks.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 38-40 is actually 40 caliber. You could also get a 38-40 cylinder and an 11 mm cylinder,converting it to an authentic cowboy caliber or a real hand cannon.