In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nice Springfield Trapdoor M1884 Question

zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Today, out of the blue, an old huntin buddy called me and asked me if I'd be interested in buying some old firearms. He said they were in primo shape and told me to get on over to an address nearby as quickly as possible.

I did.

He wasn't lying - I walked into a treasure trove of old guns in spectacular condition. I walked out with an armload of really nice ones. Today's been like Christmas in July.

This one even has the case bluing all over some of the receiver parts.

I've got a question about this Springfield Trapdoor - M1884. As you can see it's in almost new condition - I'm not even sure if it's ever been fired, or not! The activated service cartouche is dated 1889.

I'm curious about that date and the serial number - 4591xx - does anyone have a book that would give me the manufacture date for that
serial number?

e28b4901.jpg
369a5a0a.jpg
0ec9c7cc.jpg
b05f6d62.jpg
bef328d6.jpg
6a81cc9b.jpg
36dfac49.jpg
cc41d33d.jpg
a9adb167.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful old piece, Zip. I take it you got a screaming deal, too. The Blue Book of Guns notes that the Model 1884 Rifle "Trapdoor" was made from 1885-1890. I know this does not help much, maybe someone else has recods that will show the exact year.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I just answered your question in the other forum. 1889 manufacture date. If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands! [:p]
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Spidee!

No, I think I'll probably hang onto this one for a while.

I just saw your post - thanks! it IS a very nice piece.[:D]