In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 for deer hunting ?

shellitoutshellitout Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone used the 223 rd. for deer hunting, and if so, what kind did you use? What's the best.223 rd. to get the job done?
Thank's[:D]

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Super-x 64gr Power Point X223R2
    Muzzle 3020fps 1296ftlbs
    100yds 2656fps 1003ftlbs
    200yds 2320fps 765ftlbs
    300yds 2009fps 574ftlbs
    400yds 1724fps 423ftlbs
    500yds 1473fps 308ftlbs
    About $15 a box of 20 here locally
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Havent used it ,don't think i would.Something in the .243 class would be my recomendation
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you want a good low cost rifle for deer hunting, get a m-44 mosin. Thet are very accurat and a 7.62x54r has lots of power. And if you look around the riffle can be had for well under $200 (I got mine for $79.99) and another $200 for scope and mounts. And then you can hunt most anything including bear and elk.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have killed 6 deer(white tail) with a rem. 788 in .223 in the last 4 years, I have used 50 gr sp bullets. Shots have been from 50-100 yards and the deer ran maybe 100 ft before falling. I was quite surprised at how well the .223 worked.
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 223 with 1 in 12 inch twist. The Winchester 64 grains do not stabilize and keyholes at 25 yards. Check your twist. The Nosler partition bullet at 62 grain does stabilize and would be a reasonable choice if you really want to use a 223 on deer. While it will do the job, a little more gun would be a lot better. Have fun.
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Nosler is a 50 grain bullet rather than 62 as mentioned above. The attached site present a side by side penetration test with the NP bullet and several other heavier bullets. The penetration is approximately the same but the wound cavity is smaller. www.gunsandhunting.com/articles/bullet_bone/Bullethitsbone.htm

Choose wisely.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    It's not so much the power of the cartridge you are using, bullet placement is the most important thing of all. I've killed deer with a 22 long rifle, worked just as good as anything else, just got to get it in the right place. Have seen deer run off and lost after being hit twice with a 30-30, bad hits. (wasn't me doing that shooting)

In all reality, a 223 is a little light, a marginal hit might result in a lost deer.

If you can hit a snuff can at 100 yards, go ahead and use it, just be sure of your shots and keep them under 300 yards. (leaves out the Mini 14)
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Most of the .223 AR rifles work very well. Many of my friends use the Mini-14 under 200 yards. The bolt action rifles that chamber .223 are a fine choice. H&K SL6 is a very fine rifle. As has been stated, bullet placement is key. So, practice practice practice. My 2 cents [8D]
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot a Texas white tail last year from 132 yds, yes it was a measured shot. I was using Sierra Game King #1365 in 55gr spitzer boat tails on top of 25.1gr IMR4895 @ 3000fps, and it walked about 30 yds and fell stone dead. It was a perfect heart and lung quartering away shot and when I cleaned him I found the mushroom minus a good bit underneath the far side of his hide. I also shot a nice feral hog with one shot under the ear and dropped him where he stood. The key to both these shots was placement, and if I didn't have these same conditions I may very well never have taken either shot. Yes you can take game with this caliber but there are MUCH better calibers out there.
    likemhot
  • Options
    swatcop33swatcop33 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100% with A J Christ in the fact that bullet placement is the most important thing to consider when using a lighter bullet such as the .223. But it is very capable of doing the job.

I personally would not use anything smaller that a .243. You may also want to check your state law in reference to this caliber, it is illegal in Virginia to hunt large game with anything 22 caliber or smaller.