In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm stumped.. help me out on this Browning

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
I cannot find any references. I located an O/U Browning Rifle /Shotgun combo gun. Top barrel is a 16 gauge with the bottom barrel a 8mm. It is old and in fairly good condition. It also has a post style optic scope and mount. What is it and what is it worth. I was told the gun would grade 92%.

Comments

• Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Select,
    Look for some proof marks. If it looks to be finely made it may be of the forerunner of the Belgians and therefore could be worth something. How much maybe someone else has some input. The 16 was always popular in Europe and still is. See if you can determine which 8 m/m the bottom is chambered for (.319 or .323). Usually all Brownings had quality in that era. It's not much help, but it may be a start.
    JK
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a serial number??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't see any ser. no. but owner says it is made in 1927. FN Hershal Belgium
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    I didn't see any ser. no. but owner says it is made in 1927. FN Hershal Belgium

According to the Blue Book, the production of Superposed shotguns at FN dates to the early 30's. No mention is made of any that were made with rifled barrels. Is it possible that the combo gun your inquiring about was reworked after leaving the factory?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't think it was reworked. Lower barrel is smaller dia. than larger 16 gauge top barrel. It has flip down rear sights and as I mentioned what looks to be some sort of foreign scope with mounts. This gun does look custom and god knows what it would cost now. What the heck would something like this be worth?
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Superposed was not introduced till 1931....according to Ned Schwing, there is only one known 16 gauge which currently resides at the Browning Museum in Ogden, Utah.

Superpose's were never offered in a rifle/shotgun barrel configuration...but they were offered in multiple "combo barrel sets", one set of shotgun barrels a set of express rifle barrels that could be interchanged.

FN would build you anything for a price...these were sometimes refered as "presentation" models. Very expensive and extremely rare. Since the 8mm & 16 gauge was more common in Europe my guess is this was made special made by FN and brought back to the US....perhaps as a WWII trophy. Europeans are also known for their claw type scope mounts and optics. Any clue as to what kind of scope? There were also several custom smiths offered similar services on Superpose's.

Something this odd (or rare) could bring big dollars....almost qualify's as a museum piece.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello look on this site and others on the subject "cape gun" I believe what you have is one made by FN but is not a Browning and not a Superposed it is a cape gun in the o/u configuation.Could you post some pictures.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Merkel made a gun as you have described, not aware that Browning ever tried it....here are some photos.

http://www.hallowellco.com/merkel_312 combo 17243.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I viewed the gun this morning. People can sure get confused when describing their guns. Seller said it was an FN Belguim when I spoke yesterday. I almost didn't sleep last night waiting to go see it. Well when I arrived, bingo.. no markings whatsoever on the thing. Has a scope very very similar to Rembrands posting on the Merkel. It was however a 16 gauge over a 8mm. It had a quick disconnect scope mount that was actuall a see thru also. I passed. Almost Brownings don't count to me. I got all excited for nothing. Heck I had a Corvette delivered last night and kinda ignored it to see this so call FN...
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how did you determine that it wasnt a fn?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.