In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 for son

atldalatldal Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to reply to your post, but my son is a large 11 year old that already shoots some of my adult .22's. He will be using it for target shooting mostly. Thanks for your replies to this point they have been great.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by atldal
    Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to reply to your post, but my son is a large 11 year old that already shoots some of my adult .22's. He will be using it for target shooting mostly. Thanks for your replies to this point they have been great.

Shane

I think that link to the Remington showed target sights...don't remember for sure though. What kind of target shooting are you talking about Shane, competitive?
    What's next?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to spend your money for you, but can you afford to spend a bit more?

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) offers some very nice Junior Rifles, such as;

ANSCH?TZ MODEL 1903 JUNIOR TARGET SMALLBORE RIFLE - NLU # ANS 1903J - Price $1045.00

or

ANSCH?TZ MODEL 1903 STANDARD SMALLBORE RIFLE - RIGHT HANDED, NLU # ANS 1903S/ LEFT HANDED, NLU # ANS 1903SL - Price $1125.00

Both of these FINE rifles come complete with Sights (valued @ $340)

or how about a Harrington & Richardson M12 for $225 without sights?

The problem being, you will need to buy a good sight set for this rifle. This will prove true with most rifles that you buy.

link to the CMP:

http://www.odcmp.com/Rifles/cal22commercial.htm

I help Coach the Jr Rifle Team @ my Club - perhaps you can find a local club where your Son can shoot Jr Rifle?

You need to be a member of a gun club to buy from the CMP. If I can be of any help please email me,

ICE
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a good bolt action is an appropriate starter. If new with scope, a CZ heavy barrel with a nice 4 to 12X scope is an excellent starter.

I learned on and still have a bolt action Winchester 75, with a Redfield peep rear sight & globe front. I think this is a great set up for learning the basics. A Remington 513 would be great also.

None of the above would cost more than $500.00
  • Options
    jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by atldal
    Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to reply to your post, but my son is a large 11 year old that already shoots some of my adult .22's. He will be using it for target shooting mostly. Thanks for your replies to this point they have been great. I know a flla with a mossberg 340 ka bolt action that shoots real good if you're looking to start low but shoot good has what I call a semi-heavy barrel has a 4-16x40tasco [older model] on it now not an anshutz but I never understood a $1000 .22 rimfire if interested email him at deerskinner@bellsouth.net and he will relist it or work a deal

Shane
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This fits nicely within your price range - should be a "Tack Driver" -has a HEAVY BARREL which is needed for Target Shooting and comes with adjustable Peep Sights.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52773508

ICE
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    atldal,

I came across my favorite .22 at a local Gander Mountain here. They were selling the CZ 452 ZKM 2E for $199.00. A steal I think when you consider it will shoot right with my Remington 541X. This is with open sights. If you look for them on auction they are called a military trainer. I had a scope on it for a while and it consistently shot sub-MOA @ 100 yds. I took it off because it was a waste of a very fine set of tangent leaf adjustable sights. Dollar for dollar this is the best .22 I have owned or shot. -good luck