In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS won't cycle

L7L7 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Ask the Experts
Was given an SKS that wasn't in the best of shape. The bore is pretty poor. I field stripped it and cleaned it. Shoots OK but won't cycle the bolt. I'm thinking I've got a gas leak. Any ideas on remedy? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ck the gas port and the fit of the piston.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the SKS family (grenade launcher types) have a shut off valve on the gas port. They are known to develop leaks. Try this- remove gas piston tube. Use a pipe cleaner wet with a little powder solvent, see if it will feed thru the gas port into bore. If not, clean that- or check for a shut off valve. Clean the gas piston and inside of the tube. Check the tappet (piece the end of the gas piston strikes) see that it is free to move on its spring. Remove, clean, lube as needed (watch for parts that go SPROING when releasing it) Clean the bolt carrier channel, lube (light grease) lightly. CLEAN the chamber- gets neglected, sometimes brass with lacquer coating gets it cruddy. I put a rod down the muzzle, then screw a 50 cal brush wet with solvent onto the rod, draw it up into chamber, rotate about 30 turns, push back out, then dry chamber. IF you have a weapon with a shut off valve, and it is eroded and leaking, some folks are making replacements. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For any SKS questions, you need to tell us what KIIND of SKS you have.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did a thorough cleaning including the gas port. How tight is the piston supposed to be in the gas tube? Also I see a depressed ring around the gas block connection to the gas tube, is there supposed to be an O-ring or metal snap ring or is it just a pressure fit? Everything else seems clean, lubricated and free to move. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The shut off valve does seem to be quite loose. Anyone know how to remedy this or where to find a replacement? Thanks
  • Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    email me and I can put you in contact with a guy who machines new valves out of stainless steel, he also sells them on fleabay and I saw one for sale over on the auction side, but if you go with him directly circumventing fleabay, he gives you a break in the price. Fixed the cycling problem on my sks. I don't want to post his email on here because of those bot things that search web pages for email addresses and then spam them.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem. If you aren't going to switch the shutoff valve to the single shot mode, the just take some Loctite gasket maker and coat the valve body with it. Reinstall it and wipe it clean. It is a non hardening compound so reversing it won't be a pain.

I did this to mine and it shot like it was brand new.

Good luck.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. , sounds like a 'Yugo' with a typical problem , we have been selling tese for a long time and have developed a 'fix' for the ones with this problem , short of buying a new (exspensive) gas valve , this was our best option , please contact us if needed .
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , tn